Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Mini-IT...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a good deal? or could i piece the same thing together for less?
    '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:
    Design:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 100%
    Fabrication:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]100%
    Installation:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 80%

In trouble...

I don't think it is because, personally, I think that the mini-itx platform is overrated. YEAH it's small but performance wise, and for the money ($575), you can get something much more powerful. for that price you can get a high powered p4 laptop and just buy a xenarc/lilliput 7" or 8" touch screen. that way, you get all the cool features (bluetooth, wireless nic, etc) all built in rather than spending money on buying those in USB form...

i duno... i built a mini-itx system about a year ago for about $900 (with monitor) and i was not happy with the performance at all. you can get a very powerful laptop with a broken screen for $250-$350 and then just buy a touch screen monitor.

maybe my opinion is biased but i am a person that likes getting the most for his money. if my computer is going to be small, it better be powerful too. im not going to sacrafice performance for size. it's not like you're trying to mount a computer on a motor cycle - sacrifice the couple of more inches of room and get yourself a dynamite solution.

again, my opinion may be biased. I know i've been dissed many times because of my views on mini itx systems because many people here use them. I always try to get the best bang for the buck and i don't think i got that when i built my mini-itx system...

HTH playa,
    - sh00k
    Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

answered in order
      You will need to answer that for yourself... time/effort vs money

Depends on how long you look for a better deal
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

actually im mounting it under a seat so size is very important. If you read the description, it comes with a lot of extras. As far as performance, im using it for audio, video and gps and thats it. This could handle it right?
        '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
          Depends on how long you look for a better deal
          look on craigslist. I got my ~$3,000 tablet laptop + docking station for $600 from this dude that had no idea wtf it was - he got it as a christmas gift and didnt use it much. yes, i was very lucky, but you can even find like used p4 ibm laptops in and around the $300 range - with WORKING monitors. you can just get a touch screen to mate that with and you're set!

as for divx moving playing/decoding, my mini-itx computer that i built had horrible video capability - movies would show up with discolored patches and other crap. for me, it was awful.
          - sh00k

Comment

Originally posted by breaker021 View Post
            look on craigslist. I got my ~$3,000 tablet laptop + docking station for $600 from this dude that had no idea wtf it was - he got it as a christmas gift and didnt use it much. yes, i was very lucky, but you can even find like used p4 ibm laptops in and around the $300 range - with WORKING monitors. you can just get a touch screen to mate that with and you're set!

as for divx moving playing/decoding, my mini-itx computer that i built had horrible video capability - movies would show up with discolored patches and other crap. for me, it was awful.
            - sh00k
            what board did you use? processor?
            '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Well just to through out a pro-itx opinion:

I had a M10k for a year. Worked well, and I loved it. No problems with video, music, gps or any of that, except bluetooth. I dont know why, and it seems very counterintuitive to me, but as soon as I installed the bluetooth drivers, it ceased being speedy. It seems to be a known thing with theses boards, but I just uninstalled the drivers, and all was well again.

Recently I upgraded to a p4m solution (still itx form factor) because I like the "cool factor" of the size. That and my final master plan is an indash solution. Right now it is permanently-temporarily mounted behind my seat, until I build my double din case, where it goes in da dash.

So no troubles from the M10k. It is the one that is still in the dropdown menu under my name. I loved it and would go back to it, but I needed something with more juice to run AutoCAD 2007, Corel Draw X3, and Photoshop CS2 at the same time. Its good to be able to work in your car, anywhere. Dont expect the via to do that though! It ran AutoCAD 2000LT ok. Not well, but ok. Slow but useable. CorelDraw refused to run because of the limited graphics chip, and photoshop was too slow to handle. But I suppose the majority of people aren't doing what I am doing.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

the Via - Nehemiah M10000 . I had 512MB ram, a 20gb laptop disk - all in this case - also had a laptop dvd drive. mated to a 7" xenarc.

after i sold that setup and lost a few hundred dollars, i bought 2 HP EPC's (p3s) for $100 - awesome deal. I was going to install one of these in my car but by that time, i came across my current lenovo/ibm x41 laptop that i am now using for navigation, music and movies. yeah, it doesnt look factory the way i have it setup (click the link in my sig) but i get everything i want (wireless, bluetooth, etc) not to mention a huge 12" touch screen. im happy with this setup and i can take it from car to car.
                - sh00k

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                  Well just to through out a pro-itx opinion:

I had a M10k for a year. Worked well, and I loved it. No problems with video, music, gps or any of that, except bluetooth. I dont know why, and it seems very counterintuitive to me, but as soon as I installed the bluetooth drivers, it ceased being speedy. It seems to be a known thing with theses boards, but I just uninstalled the drivers, and all was well again.

Recently I upgraded to a p4m solution (still itx form factor) because I like the "cool factor" of the size. That and my final master plan is an indash solution. Right now it is permanently-temporarily mounted behind my seat, until I build my double din case, where it goes in da dash.

So no troubles from the M10k. It is the one that is still in the dropdown menu under my name. I loved it and would go back to it, but I needed something with more juice to run AutoCAD 2007, Corel Draw X3, and Photoshop CS2 at the same time. Its good to be able to work in your car, anywhere. Dont expect the via to do that though! It ran AutoCAD 2000LT ok. Not well, but ok. Slow but useable. CorelDraw refused to run because of the limited graphics chip, and photoshop was too slow to handle. But I suppose the majority of people aren't doing what I am doing.
                  nope, ill just be using it to run music, video and gps. And the occasional internet use when i find an unprotected network in my travels
                  '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by breaker021 View Post
                    the Via - Nehemiah M10000 . I had 512MB ram, a 20gb laptop disk - all in this case - also had a laptop dvd drive. mated to a 7" xenarc.

after i sold that setup and lost a few hundred dollars, i bought 2 HP EPC's (p3s) for $100 - awesome deal. I was going to install one of these in my car but by that time, i came across my current lenovo/ibm x41 laptop that i am now using for navigation, music and movies. yeah, it doesnt look factory the way i have it setup (click the link in my sig) but i get everything i want (wireless, bluetooth, etc) not to mention a huge 12" touch screen. im happy with this setup and i can take it from car to car.
                    - sh00k
                    ic, thanks for the response. Im going for an OEM look. I want it to look clean. Besides, i dont think i can fab up a bracket like yours and stick a laptop in the middle of everything
                    '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by stangg172006 View Post
                      nope, ill just be using it to run music, video and gps. And the occasional internet use when i find an unprotected network in my travels
                      Then a via will be all you need. The question now becomes, what do you want?

Originally posted by stangg172006 View Post
                      ic, thanks for the response. Im going for an OEM look. I want it to look clean. Besides, i dont think i can fab up a bracket like yours and stick a laptop in the middle of everything
                      I thought you were putting it under your seat? Anyways, if you are going under your seat, with no plans of moving into your dash, spare tire well, hidden in some panel somewhere, then you probably wont benefit from the itx formfactor. You really do pay for size. If you want the factor, then go ahead, but if you are cheap then go the uATX route. You can get some pretty small uatx boards with embedded cpu's, or small little amd's or slots for pentium m or something. That way it is much cheaper. I have a via 2000+ board (I have no idea what it compares to) that is uATX and it cost me $40 from NewEgg (I think they may still sell them...). My M10k on eBay was just about $100.
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

In my scenario, what you can do is get a laptop (or a laptop with a broken screen and mount the laptop underneath your seat/passenger seat. you can then get a touch screen monitor and mount it with a factory look on your dash - relocating your current head unit - or whatever else your plan was. you can still make it look factory. there are a few posts on this site in which people setup their carputers like this. i've seen laptops mounted in the trunk too - all outputted to a "factory" oem style touch screen in their dash.

its just an idea. i just feel having a laptop as the computer is nice since they're made for rugged environments anyway and have been tested for proper cooling, etc.
                        - sh00k

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...celica-pc.html

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            Then a via will be all you need. The question now becomes, what do you want?

I thought you were putting it under your seat? Anyways, if you are going under your seat, with no plans of moving into your dash, spare tire well, hidden in some panel somewhere, then you probably wont benefit from the itx formfactor. You really do pay for size. If you want the factor, then go ahead, but if you are cheap then go the uATX route. You can get some pretty small uatx boards with embedded cpu's, or small little amd's or slots for pentium m or something. That way it is much cheaper. I have a via 2000+ board (I have no idea what it compares to) that is uATX and it cost me $40 from NewEgg (I think they may still sell them...). My M10k on eBay was just about $100.
                            Oh no, the computer and amp will be under to front seats. I just want the dash to look OEM, ie like i got factory navigation.

As far as using the itx, there is exactly 10"s of room under the seat so the case i linked up above to would just fit at 9.25 inches. If i go with a bigger board, i have to deal with moving the computer to the trunk or something.
                            '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

10" is a 1d dimension. probably a couple inches high, and usually 10" or so deep.

The mini-itx boards must conform to 170mm x 170mm. The nano-itx boards must be 140mm I think. I dunno, but it is friggin small.

So 7" x 7" for a mini-itx, or about 9.6x9.6. It would be a tight fit. But your car is pretty new. Even in my civic which is smaller than yours I have more room than 10". Have you actually measured it, or just guessing? Is there some sort of fan/vent blocking the space?

itx was and still is my preference, and if you need the small size, then go for it.

And via isn't the only ones making itx boards... You can get Pentium M, Pentium 4, Duo Core, AMD Turions, AMD Geode's, and a plethora of various config options depending on the board you get. So if you want small and powerful, then it is there.

I am not sure who said this first (maybe wiredwrx, i forget) but to paraphrase it went something like this:

For a pc the important things are power, size, and cost. Pick 2 and that is all you get. If you want small size, and big power, it is big cost. If you want low power, and small cost, you get a big board. If you want mega power, and small size, you get rediculously expensive.

he said it more elequantly, but you get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X