Need help understanding power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding power

Ok, I've done quite a bit of reading here about people's carputers. The computer is not the problem. Powering everything is where I'm having a problem understanding. I plan on a 7" xenarc ts and a laptop. So, I'm going to lay out what I think I need. Let me know if I have it screwed up.

A power controller such as the CarPC EZ v2.5d and a Carnetix CNX-P1900 Ver. 2.2.

I'd like to go the dc-dc regulator route because I've read quite a bit about using an inverter and interference in the audio system. I'm hoping this will solve some of those issues.

bump

I know it's simple to you old pros but I'd like to be sure before I purchase $500+ in hardware.

Comment

I am not too familiar with the Carnetix, but if I remember it right, it already has most function of what the EZ will offer you. The EZ has more blink that laptop setup doesn't really needed.
      You can just get a Carnetix.
      or get a Air/Car adapter for you laptop and a SDC.

As for power the screen, I am not sure if the Carnetix can offer both 12V for the screen AND 19V or so for the lappy.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

All you need is the carnetix to power the screen and laptop

Comment

While I would recommend the Carnetix for the power regulation, you probably don't actually need it.

For a laptop, simply purchase a car adaptor for the brand you own. The screen *can* plug into the cigarette power source as well.

Some people are uncomfortable plugging in their screen to the car's power system, which I can understand. If that is a concern for you, all you really need is a regulator to provide clean power to the system. The Carnetix 1290 regulator will do the job nicely. In addition, if you want to do the laptop startup button mod, the 1290 outputs a start signal for ACPI compatible systems (which is almost certainly the case with your laptop).
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thank you guys for your input. I apparently had not seen where the Carnetix also has a built in startup/shutdown controller. Cool beans!

The laptop is a HP ZD7000 desktop replacement. A power hungry beast of a laptop to be sure. The laptop was given to me when it developed a video problem. It will display external video but it will not power the LCD screen. It would require a new mobo to fix so the original owner bought a new laptop instead. Seems fitting that it could now be used as a CarPC. On it is labeled "input 18.5V 6amps" so the 1900 would power the laptop as well as the LCD screen. So it would seem the 1290 does not provide the necessary power being rated at +12V at 6amps. Not knowing exactly how a startup/shutdown controller would wire to the laptop I had assumed that it's just a matter of the controller being wired to a power button. Is this correct? I have found the appropriate contacts on the laptop's power button to short to induce power on/off. Figured I'd solder a couple of wires to it and then lead that over to the PSU.

As for the screen, yes, I do want regulated power. I have read about under/over voltages even when using the regulator that comes with the Xenarc that may lead to premature failure. If the regulator that comes with it can be used then I can still use the Carnetix to power a usb hub or something. *shrugs* I'd rather have more capacity than not enough.

Comment

The P1900 will fit the bill for you, then. You can find info on the power on mod for the laptop in the forums but you've got it basically figured out.

If you want to also operate a USB hub from the P1900, add the Point of Load (POL) regulator when you order it. That will give you the laptop power, the 12v screen power, and the 5v for the USB hub from a single device.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks again. Now that I've got the power figured out I'll be specing and pricing the rest of the setup. I'll post another hardware thread with my list of hardware to see if I've left out anything and to see if the folks here may have better suggestions. If not then everything will be purchased and I'll be on my way.

Comment

Working...
                X