Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got iMac DVD drive - no faceplate - any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got iMac DVD drive - no faceplate - any suggestions?

I got an iMac 6x DVD drive (Hitachi gd-ss20) off ebay and already have an adapter (from idot when I ordered my ibox). Stupid me, there is no faceplate on this drive - is it useable? I can see where the switch would rest (I think) - there are also two metal bars sticking up though the slot which would seem to prevent any ccd from entering, but perhaps they fold back. I know some other people here ordered the iMac drives - what was your solution?

And no, I do not care that my adapter will stick out.

Thanks

i believe the open switch is simply dependent on pressure against the circuit in the small hole. all you do is press a round peg into the hole and it presses the 2 sheets together and the disc ejects.

the purpose of the 2 pegs in the drive slot are to sense when a disc has been inserted into the drive. it then activates the loading mechainsm. they are supposed to be there

i havent made anything for mine yet!!!

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I'm going to be using a plexi faceplate and I'm going to try to use the rubber pad from a keypad.. it +should+ work.. as long as i don't screw it up too bad there isn't an easy way to wire up a momentary switch to it
      aka Kumaneko
      "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
      Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
      Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Working...
      X