Summers a-comin'! Heat management?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summers a-comin'! Heat management?

well, after dealing with winter and all the cold related issues (dying cmos battery, etc), summer is here and now I'm thinking about heat.

so, what are people using for heat management?

I'm using the standard aircooling fans and that's how I'll be staying. Liquid cooling and other "neat stuff" is just a bit to new and I don't think a good option in a car enviroment.

I'm a little bit lucky in that my car stays a little cooler than most (white car), the comp is in the trunk also so no direct sunlight or "under glass" heat issues.

What I'm thinking is ducting air from outside to the comp for cooling. My major concerns are water ingress. I am knowledgeable enough to design a "water trap" in the ducting, but location of the intake is a concern. I'm thinking up high behind one of the taillights, Ive seen one guy on the net place the intake in the wheel well above the rear tire. Sheesh . Talk about asking for trouble if it ever rains!. My car has a "valved" air exhaust in the trunk from the factory. I'll use a 12v fan to draw air in and "dump it" into the computer case I built from 18 gauge sheet metal. The stock cpu fan and power supply fan can deal with exhausting it and the air can exit on it's own through the factory vent.

Comments or alternative setups anyone?

Cheers

BJ
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

It has not been an issue for me, many years of service.

If you run into trouble, fix it after you know what it is. I would not duct in air from outside the car. More work and trouble than the potential gain.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

don't fix it yet unless there is a problem.
      The is one of the reason I always say. If possible, but that dam carPC under the seat.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Cool PC

Or maybe just do like this ultimate COOL PC
        Attached Files
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

*Snicker*

i wonder if those fans make more heat by the power draw than they can cool?!?

That's alot of fans, bet it sounds like a hovecraft!

Cheers
          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post

don't fix it yet unless there is a problem.

Agreed, I ran my carputer in my trunk for all of 2006 without much trouble. Even used it in 96 degree weather (probably alot hotter in the trunk) last summer and it ran without problem. Only fan is a 120mm stock fan.

Comment

I don't think there's much you can do about ambient heat aside from ducting in fresh air. However, whatever the ambient temperature is outside is exactly what you'll be ducting into your enclosure for your computer or compartment. You gotta ask yourself, "Am I cooling anything by ducting 96+ degree air into the compartment?". What about those 100+ degree days?

If you're concerned you can manage your CPU's clock speed with a utility like speedfan. While I have not played with that feature I understand you have the ability to under-clock your CPU at certain temperatures.

If you're set on "engineering" some cooling theres always a waterblock. You could buy one of those cooling coolers and throw your source water in there. Probably won't get cold or chilly but it will provide a significant difference even on the hottest of days.

If it were me and I was really concerned with it, depending on the system, I'd probably just throw a superduty heatsink and fan on it and modify the case as necessary to accommodate it. I actually did this with the first computer I considered using for a carpc. It was a laptop, PIII, not the best cooling with those older laptops. I removed the keyboard and stock heatsink/fan exposing the cpu. Then I put a modern high-end chipset heatsink/fan. It was perfect for the CPU. However, it did stick out of the case so I had to modify the keyboard to fit around it (I wasn't using the keyboard for anything so it was ok to trash it). So, the heatsink was coming out of the keyboard, pretty odd looking. I tested the unit by enclosing it and ducting a hot air blowdryer. It tested out fine at about 5-10 degrees cooler than my tests with the stock heatsink/fan.

Comment

If anything find a way to route your AC in to your CarPC. not directly due to condensation

Comment

Working...
                X