No announcement yet.

Hard drives and subs, can they play together?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drives and subs, can they play together?

Ok... so I was sitting there as I realized I just found the last part needed for me to complete a car computer. And I was thinking about me buying a couple 10" subs off my friend. And then... I wondered...

Hard drives are magnetic. Subs are huge magnets... what happens? how close can they be, and not fight?

Well I have the same question myself. I have asked some people and I have yet to hear ONE story of a HD that went bad because of subs.

Has this happened to anyone here?
    sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

My hard drive was mounted about 1 foot from my subs without any trouble and I have 4 12's. It wasnt until I moved to my glove box that I had trouble (power problems).

Subwoofers will not effect hard drives, either magnetically or accoustically. Though common sense tells you not to mount your HD in or on your sub enclosure.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

never any problems here....

90 300zx twinturbo conversion
          Epia C3, 512 ram, syntax mobo, 80 gig WD, Mediacar, GPS w/Routis, all behind drivers seat, 7in Lcd Lilliput VGA with Touch, wireless adapter for stumbling, Consult ODB1 adapter and data scanner.

A large enough magnet will erase a disk's data. They sell electromagnets you mount on your PC that instantly wipe the disks (for those uber-paranoid types). You can get an idea of how strong the sub's magnetic field is with a piece of iron or something... Anything outside the sub box is probably far enough away to not be affected, so you're probably safe no matter what you do. But if you have some weird setup, you might want to do a bit of experimenting before you put your life-support system on your carputer.