Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk space required for minimum XP install

Newby here... Hi all!

Having installed a DIY Engine management system (megasquirt) into two of my cars I now wish to add a car PC so I don't have to cart my laptop PC to the car when I want to fiddle with settings.

Here's the catch:
    I want to avoid using a hard disk preferring to rather use a flash disk(s) of sorts. Reason: SEVERLY corrugated an potholed roads at the "$% end of Africa. I just can not see a hard disk surviving this no matter how good.

What is the smallest amount of disk space required for a really small (but functional ) XP installation? (I have no other applications in mind)

Regards
    jagwit

if you try running the install, from what i can remember, it tells you how much space is needed for full and minimum installations of the OS.
    '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:
    Design:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 100%
    Fabrication:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]100%
    Installation:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 80%

In trouble...

Comment

hi there.
      from my experience, a clean install will set you back around 1200 mb.
      but, if youre going for functionality, i would suggest doing a search for tinyXP. im using it as im typing this.. works great and the install was around 400 mb. also, search for nLite xp. you can build your own smaller version of XP to fit your needs.
      Macbook Pro- OSX/Vista Ultimate - 2.16 cd 1.5gb ram 100gb hd
      Macbook- OSX/Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu - 2.4 c2d 2gb ram 160gb hd

8gb iphone
      8gb ipod touch

Comment

Originally posted by keatonreckard View Post
        hi there.
        from my experience, a clean install will set you back around 1200 mb.
        but, if youre going for functionality, i would suggest doing a search for tinyXP. im using it as im typing this.. works great and the install was around 400 mb. also, search for nLite xp. you can build your own smaller version of XP to fit your needs.
        Excellent!! Thanks!! Will have a look. This means that a 1Gig flash will most likely do the job.

Kind regards
        jagwit

Comment

Working...
        X