Standby type (S3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standby type (S3)

How do I know which method my computer is using for standby? I enabled "suspend to ram" in the BIOS, but does this automatically mean that S3 will be used when I hit standby?

If I can get S3 to work consistently (with the ultra low power draw), then I'd like to keep my computer powered all the time and just use standby.

usually enabling that in bios just means that it's now available as an option. you still gotta use "standby" within windows or whatever OS you run to actually put it in standby.

btw, standby is not "ultra low power draw*. It's still 2-4 amps on 12v (that range depends on your mobo and ram and usb stuff attached), which is enough to drain a battery overnight for some cars.
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

I thought it was 5v to keep the ram charged? So it's more like going into the store and I don't want it turned off thing.

I know that during normal usage, playing music with my stereo on even at low volume, my battery will drain in 1-2 hours. Kind of a bummer that I can't listen to music with the car off without worrying about the battery dying.

Comment

Sorry, when I wrote 12v, i was talking about your car battery. Yes, you're right it's the 5v rail that handles the RAM. You can think about hibernation as an alternative. Or, how about this:

carpc runs off of a second battery (primary battery for car ignition). Goes into standby when you turn off the car. If the battery dies, carpc loses power and shuts off. when you turn on the car and it's not in standby, it comes up with HORM.
        ...it never ends

Comment

I'm in the process of setting up my PC to boot off of CF that doesn't support hibernation, so I'm not bothering with that right now. I have EWF on my hard drive right now to work the bugs out.

I have a portable jumpstarter for if/when my battery dies. 2nd battery would be nicer though. Where would I locate the battery? My trunk already has a ton of stuff in it. Do you just hook the terminals up to + and ground for charging?

Comment

No, you need to isolate the second battery so power only flows one way (alternator can charge the second battery, but the second battery can't affect the primary battery). If you don't isolate it and just hook it together, your carpc will kill both batteries together.

HORM works with EWF (hibernate ONCE resume many... it doesn't write to the CF anymore after your first hibernate). Unless you're saying that hibernation just doesn't work at all?
            ...it never ends

Comment

2-4 amps? Where did you hear that?

I can't believe power consumption would be that high. I heard figures in the miliWatts range...

Comment

That's what I measured on my stuff. When I get my multimeter back from my friend, I can redo the measurement and prove it with a pic. That 2-4 amps is at the input side of my M1-ATX, so gotta toss in the efficiency of that, too. I didn't care to break down what component used what, only that the overall effect on the battery was a drain too large to sustain.
                ...it never ends

Comment

I chose to use a faster SanDisk Extreme 3 (rather than an Ultra2), which can't be mounted as a fixed hard disk, so therefore I won't be able to use HORM. My boot time isn't that bad, at least with a hard drive. But if I could use S3 STR it would be even better. I read somewhere that the draw is on the order of 150-200 mA.

Comment

Damn, wish I had checked what mine consumed now...

Comment

S3 or S1 mode depends on the setting in the bios.
                      When you tell windows to go in standby, it will do as defined in bios.

You also can check easily, if you are in the right mode:
                      When the fans are still working then you are in S1 mode with nearly the same power consumption than in on mode. And if they are off you run S3 with 0,17A 12V through M2 ATX as example of my system. But you should measure it for your own. I don't know the power consumtion of desktop boards in S3. (Maybe you find it in the MB specs.)

I already had my pc in standby for nearly one week without driving - no sign of low power at all.

To drive my carpc always in S3 was actually the best and most important thing at all. The 30 sec from hibernating really bothered me, especially when you know what is possible or you are used to a HU!!

Comment

Hmm, googling S3, it seems like my figure really is high. I'll play more with my system, but I guess disregard what I said. Maybe I did it wrong (wrong suspend state?). Sorry.
                        ...it never ends

Comment

I was just measuring the current draw on my system a couple days ago. I'm getting 240ma with all my USB devices plugged in while in Standby S3, that's on a Dell GX260. With USB unplugged it is 170ma so now I need to set up my USB power to shut off with a relay. Always another project. By the way hibernate was drawing around 140mw, likely mostly the M2-ATX.

Comment

Originally posted by TSXPC View Post
                            By the way hibernate was drawing around 140mw, likely mostly the M2-ATX.
                            I guess the power consumtion of the M2 itself is not worth mentioning.
                            Your 140mW (my pc 110mW) is the consumption of the computer, if it's off !!!

Surprising the pc needs nearly the same, if it's off or in standby.

Therefore the M2 is designed to do a complete hardoff after some time with the right jumper setting. But if you want to use standby you have to set it to always on. Best would be if you were able to set it to 48h. but unfortunately not possible (longest 2h, I think).

Greets, Roland

Comment

The M2 may well be consuming a decent chunk of that power, but we'll probably never know.....

And yes, i'd love a 48hr setting too

Comment

Working...
                              X