Micro ATX case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro ATX case

Dont know where to posts this, i think this might be the best place, op feel free to move this to a better place.

I have a micro atx board that i am using in the car, currently i have a plexi-glass case that i have built, but i have added couple of pci cards, and the plexi case is not built for such a thing.
    I have been searching for a while for a micro atx case. Ideally slim as possible, wihtout drive bays, without any powersupply.
    Anyone knows where i can find something like this?? Or if you have a micro atx board then what are you using as a case?

join the club!! i a have been looking for something nice a long time now..but nothing

Comment

what about a htpc case like this (though this one is kinda expensive): http://www.sundialmicro.com/silverst..._1699_753.html
      Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
      Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
      Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
      Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
      ...it never ends

Comment

yea i have been searching everywhere, but cant find nothing similar to what i want.
        This is the closest, but not what i want:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ultra-Silver...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Not really elegant, unless you're really good/patient, but you could buy a cheap matx box and cut it down to size. I did that with my box, hacked it up with a dremel. I painted it afterward with textured paint, so all the scratches and crap disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by crooper View Post
            Not really elegant, unless you're really good/patient, but you could buy a cheap matx box and cut it down to size. I did that with my box, hacked it up with a dremel. I painted it afterward with textured paint, so all the scratches and crap disappeared.
            Crooper, you have a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by psyrex View Post
              what about a htpc case like this (though this one is kinda expensive): http://www.sundialmicro.com/silverst..._1699_753.html
              $175 for a carPC case??
              Not the solution

Comment

Sure here's a few pics of my box. The first pic is the case before I hacked it. I don't have any good "before" pics, but for size comparison the two visible screws on the side secure the M2-ATX.

The other pics are 1) assembled and starting to mask for painting, 2) box assembled after painting (4 screws on side secure the hard drive), 3) box inside (just barely tall enough for a 3.5" drive, attached to the side opposite the M2-ATX), and 4) a closeup of my just-barely-fitting components (red wire is additoinal ground for sound card).

I think it's great, fits in my trunk way better. I used as much of the original case as possible, and the screws that hold the lid on still line up perfectly.
                Attached Files

Comment

why did u ground the sound card?
                  i was thinking about doing that, because of the noise im getting out of my stereo, if i use a usb sound card, whinning noise goes away but when i use the pci slot sound card, i get that noise.
                  Did you do it for the same reason?

Comment

Yeah, it's recommended to have an additional ground close to the sound card to a different place on the chassis to reduce ground loop noise. It might not be necessary, but it can't hurt. I get a bit of alternator whine and hard drive spin-up noise when I start my PC, but as soon as the sound card inits (with Windows) it's clean. Someday I plan do the DTR serial port thing to turn on my amps.

Comment

Working...
                    X