Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biometric to start car

Hey,

I've just started thinking about this, anyone have any ideas as to how it might be accomplished? I suppose the computer would have to be kept in hibernation mode, but I'm not sure exactly how you would accomplish starting the car when a specific fingerprint is scanned.

any ideas?

birrman54

you would need a low power computer running at all times, or at least a switch that would turn on the computer as soon as you put your thumb on the scanner. Also you would probably want to have a normal egnition somewhere in the car in case someone at a shop or something needs to turn it on when you aren't there. I have seen add-ons for computers that can do this for loggin on to your computer, I'm sure it can't be too hard.
    sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

Purely eye candy, but, How about a small piece of flexi plastic, with a thumb print on it.

All it is connected to is a momentary switch behind the thumbprint picture. Also maybe wire up an Led behind the plastic, so it lights when you thumb it.

Pure eye candy, but might look cool
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

ok, this wont boot the PC via biometrics but it will provide security via biometrics...
        90% Done
        60W DC-DC & shutdown controller
        Via C3 800, 512mb Ram, HDD 75GB IBM Deskstar, 5.6" In dash Dcustoms LCD w/ 3m USB Touch setup
        Rockfors 400s 400W amp,2x 10" Rockford Subs, Sony CDX M730 Head unit
        All in a shiny White 2000 V6 Mustang
        Click here to visit my NEW PhotoAlbum

Comment

That looks nice.

If a PC was suspended/ in hibernation, can you get Wake on USB as part of the Bios? That might be useful for that purpose.

What the PC, then check the authentication.
          4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Originally posted by Skraggy_uk
            That looks nice.

If a PC was suspended/ in hibernation, can you get Wake on USB as part of the Bios? That might be useful for that purpose.

What the PC, then check the authentication.
            well I think I can have the USB bring it out of hibernation, the hard part (IMO) is how to have it trip a relay or somthing that would start the car.

birrman54

Comment

you could use a PC relay card. I could modify the software that I wrote to have a password for certain relays, which is how that biometric computer security stuff works I think.
              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
              I'M DEBT FREE!!
              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                you could use a PC relay card. I could modify the software that I wrote to have a password for certain relays, which is how that biometric computer security stuff works I think.

that sounds like it would work, could you give me ome more deetails, please email me at [email protected]

birrman54

Comment

Wouldn't you need a computer on all the time for that to work?
                  sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by B3AND1P
                    Wouldn't you need a computer on all the time for that to work?
                    what I'm hoping is to have the computer in hibernation/standby so it would wake up when the finger is scanned.

Anyone know how those drunk driver breathalyzer car things works? I've seen it as a punishment for drunk drivers where the car won't start unless the breathalyzer passes.

birrman54

Comment

I would think they do since their is alot of cases where they get in more trouble because they have their kids blow into it so they can go driving.

Comment

Working...
                      X