Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help...

Hello there.

I've been surfing these forums for quite some time, and now with my new restoration project, i think it's time that i built my own one.

I've got a VW Golf 1.6l Cabrolet GTi (MK1), and i wanted to fit a car pc in it. I've come up with a few ideas, and i've just aquired a edition of autocad and i'm going to start to put it down on electronic paper :P

Screen
    Few things first. I wanted a flush screen in the dash, but i don't want to cut anything up. The cd player and the heating controls are one on top of each other, which pretty much makes Double Din. However, the heating controls are exactly din sized width, but height, that's a different matter, they are about 1/4 of an inch short. Annoyingly.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4...5072106io6.jpg

Picture, with both the cd player and the fasia to the heating controls removed. Please remember, the car is 25 years old in a day :P

There are two different ways i can go :-

- Flushed Solid Screen
    • Cheaper
    • Looks better

- Motorised Screen
    • More Expensive
    • Easier theft, more prying eyes

I need some help on deciding what to do. I don't want to cut my dash, but i could always get one from the scrappy to replace it when i sell it.

Case / Main setup

What do you think about this setup?

MOBO: ASUS Mainboard

RAM: 512mb ram stick

WIRELESS PCI CARD: Edimax Card

PSU:M1-ATX

GPS DONGLE: Ambicom

TV TUNER: Hauppauge's WinTV-USB

Oh yeah, and yesterday i saw a post on how to add temperature probes on your car pc, using a serial interface. I forgot to bookmark it :P. Does anyone know the url?

I will, if everything does not fit in a micro atx box, be building either a metal, or a wooden box for everything to be mounted in.

Pictures:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6...5071518xr1.jpg < Overview picture
    http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4...5072107rk2.jpg < Ashtray. Notice din sized.

^^ Perhaps i could make an adapter to fit the heating controls into that ashtray hole? I don't smoke anyway, so it's wasted.

Thanks very much everyone!

What does everyone think then?

Comment

Aaaaannnnnnyyyyonnnneeee???!?!

Comment

I think you've done some research and need to make a decision.

Also, waiting 24 hours and bumping your thread twice in that time frame is going to get you less response, as you appear to be an impatient, desperate whiner. I'm not saying you are, only that your actions bring about that perception.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I'm sorry, i just got a little exited!

Comment

Originally posted by TomParker69 View Post
            I'm sorry, i just got a little exited!
            Just a bit...
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
            X