Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hear the startup beep, stalls at tests screen sometimes

Here is the situation:

Hot day, 25 celcius or 95 Fahrenheit, riding along watching a video for about 15 minutes, system reboots, hear the startup beep, then it freezes where it says "Main processor is..."model etc..." right before the usual RAM test count and HDD list.

I turned it off, let it cool in the basement and hooked it up again in the house.

When I turned it on, it got all the way to the "You computer didn't shut down properly, how would you like to start windows?" with the options for safe mode etc...

It tries to start windows then reboots, beeps and stops at the "Main processor is...model# etc.. line.

Sometimes it makes it into the memory check part but usually stops after the processor line. Even if I power off completely and restart, that's usually as far as it gets.

My question is...RAM or CPU or HDD or Motherboard?

I don't really want to go out and buy a $100 stick of RAM just to learn it's something else so I'd like to make an estimated guess as to where to start and trouble shoot.

Should I reset the CMOS first, then go hardware, or BIOS or whatever?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    VoomPC, VIA C7 1.5 Ghz, 7" Newision LCD, 80 Gig WD 5400 RPM Laptop Drive, M2-ATX, RoadRunner, iGuidance, Freedom 2.0, AT&T Natural Voice Hot Babe Audrey. All wrapped up in a piece of crap Suzuki Grand Vitara.

reset the CMOS by taking out the little battery for 10-15 minutes...

if that doesnt work, take out your ram and try it without the ram...if you think its a possibility the ram is bad, see if you can find someone who is willing to donate a stick of ram to your cause for a few minutes.

if its not that, hopefully someone around you has a spare CPU that fits...

im hoping it doesnt even get to the CPU part...cause if none of those...then you're up **** creek without a boat...
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

I've had this happen. It was the board.
      Ampie Case
      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

bummer... I guess I'll try the easy stuff first.
          VoomPC, VIA C7 1.5 Ghz, 7" Newision LCD, 80 Gig WD 5400 RPM Laptop Drive, M2-ATX, RoadRunner, iGuidance, Freedom 2.0, AT&T Natural Voice Hot Babe Audrey. All wrapped up in a piece of crap Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Comment

you could try to google the name of your motherboard followed by beep codes.
            count the beeps and look up what the error corresponds to.

Comment

Good News...I guess.

Since there was only one beep (no error beeps) I had to trouble shoot the old fashion way...rip it apart and see what works.

I removed the battery to reset CMOS, and I replaced the RAM which is what I hoped it was.

After resetting my BIOS settings, all seems to work fine.

Put the old stick of RAM back in and no go.

So it was the RAM that was pooched.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Working...
              X