No announcement yet.

HURRY!!! 7" lcd $249 RUNNING LINUX ?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HURRY!!! 7" lcd $249 RUNNING LINUX ?!?!

wow, check out woot.com. This is crazy! Hackable 7" lcd w/ linux running. What do you guys think? I want more info on this thing, I am so tempted to buy it!

http://woot.com

Interesting 7" Touchscreen Standalone Unit on Woot - $250

www.woot.com

Anybody heard of this thing? From Nextar apparently. Seems very cheap for a full 7" unit. Seems to have a lot of the benefits of a DIY system, but for the price of a screen alone.
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

No mention of VGA but its still quite impressive for that price.

Comment

rsd212:
        Please search for something before blindly posting. As you can see, this was already brought up and i've merged the threads. There's no need for multiple threads about the same deal from woot (or any other reseller).

Thanks.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Did some searching and seems like there were a lot of HW/SW problems. US maps are only highway. US is an upgrade.

The company used to be called Macvision, now it's Nextar and the model number has changed, though I don't know if there is any actual difference. The old one was MN2607, the new one is MN2707

http://www.nextar.com/frontend/prodd...07&co=10000312

http://www.nextar.com/frontend/prodd...07&co=10000312

I wonder if there is any way to use the US data with linux.... hmm.
          GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Well if it is linux though, you should be able to rip out the HD, put it in a normal PC install and configure everything, and pop it back in. Unless they lock it or something.

Definatey interesting. If anybody buys one, let us know how it turns out!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Thanks for the post move, searched new posts but didnt see it.

Any ideas on the LCD quality? Just bugs me that I paid that much for my Lilli, something has to be terribly wrong with this unit...
              MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
              Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

Originally posted by rsd212 View Post
                Thanks for the post move, searched new posts but didnt see it.

Any ideas on the LCD quality? Just bugs me that I paid that much for my Lilli, something has to be terribly wrong with this unit...
                It says 800x480 resolution, so it is just a lilli screen in it.
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I did some researching when they were available at a store locally.

Apparantly you cannot play MP3's and use the Navi at the same time.. two totally seperate modes.

Auto re-route when you go off course doesn't work properly (or at all, I can't remember) and you will most likely be stuck with a PC board that is quite a bit wider than the screen, can be a bit of a problem if you plan to take it apart and fab it into a standard Double DIN spot.

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry View Post
                    I did some researching when they were available at a store locally.

Apparantly you cannot play MP3's and use the Navi at the same time.. two totally seperate modes.

Auto re-route when you go off course doesn't work properly (or at all, I can't remember) and you will most likely be stuck with a PC board that is quite a bit wider than the screen, can be a bit of a problem if you plan to take it apart and fab it into a standard Double DIN spot.
                    Well that is using the devices built in software. This thing runs linux though. So you can put whatever you want on it, and it can be used as a fully functional linux pc. Unless there is something I am missing here.

Comment

Wiki about hacking it:
                      http://hacvision.wickedretarded.com/...itle=Main_Page

Not going to be as easy as just copying programs over, but not that hard compared to some embedded devices. A now defunct page had it running other programs, as well as theming the internal apps.

Comment

Just as a sidenote, it looks like some of their other units are running iGuidance...

http://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000312

Comment

So did anybody order this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            Well that is using the devices built in software. This thing runs linux though. So you can put whatever you want on it, and it can be used as a fully functional linux pc. Unless there is something I am missing here.
                            I doubt it runs on i386 compatible processor. I think it would be rather like risc architecture. So the binaries are compiled for same proc. It wouldn't work on PC, but at least you can read the configuration, and try to build similar system. The navigation part would bo not hackable without sources.
                            EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
                            Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

Since those other units appear to be running iguidance, does that mean they are either running Windows mobile or could it be translated for use on linux? Could make for an interesting linux embedded carputer.

It also looks like IG4 since they are advertising the TTS feature...

Comment

Working...
                              X