USB and USB mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB and USB mini

I have been going back and forth with the supplier of my ODB11 device it hooks up to my laptop using USB.
    I just got a new device that has miniUSB. running windows mobile 5
    my question is is there a difference other then size I can't see it being USB got to run the same I think.
    But here is where I'm stuck the supplier when asked if I could do this came back and said the is a power issue the connection needs to support [email protected] they said USB mini does not do this I belive this is incorrect.
    forgive me if this is a noob question but this is not my area I'm just tryig to make my new smartphone work to full advantage.
    the guys who made my HTC said USB is USB don't matter what size the plug is they are only concerned that there is something with the scanner reader the sends power down the USB to the laptop or device.
    I would think not
    any help would be appreciated
    Alex

eh?
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Depends
      DigitalFX4.0 Skin by JohnWPB

Road Runner RR's Myspace

My Ride - Car Domain Page -JWLionKing's MySpace Page

Project 98% Complete -FREE DOMAIN & WEBSPACE / FILE HOST FOR DEVELOPERS - PM ME

Comment

Ok since I'm a wireless network engineer.
        But I know I do not communicate very well.
        But I will try again.
        But if all devices have not been modified.
        Is there a functional difference between the two miniUSB as on mp3 players, Palm or the full size USB?
        I'm want to use my HTC TyTn (miniUSB) to run my AutoTap which currently hooks up to my laptop full size USB. When I asked them (AutoTap) they say they do not think so, I'm suspect as to their motive for their answer.
        Since I bought this unit to run on my laptop and they make a complete unit to run on the older palms.
        But they say they are concerned the mini will not run on the power requirements
        Quote from their note

"From what I understand, and device that acts as a USB host has to be able to provide 500mA of continuous current. That would require a car battery in the smartphone to meet the powering requirements. If this spec has changed, it may move to the planning table"

I believe there shouldn't be an issue with connection. Using an adaptor to downsize the full size USB to miniUSB.
        the only other thing is whether the software for winXP will run on the TyTn with windows mobile 5, I can fix this.
        I just do not want to blow up my new toy but then again if the AutoTap is sending enough current to fry the TyTn Should I be hooking it up to my laptop?
        Hope this helps
        Alex

Comment

As far as I know you are correct. USB is USB. They all have +5v, GND, D+, and D-. The 5v can by specifications only be 100mA before a connection is made, and then the device can request additional power up to 500mA continuous no matter what the size of the connector is.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            As far as I know you are correct. USB is USB. They all have +5v, GND, D+, and D-. The 5v can by specifications only be 100mA before a connection is made, and then the device can request additional power up to 500mA continuous no matter what the size of the connector is.
            Thanx
            This I Thought
            I'm new to this whole hand held PC thing so I'm learing. But as they cost as much as a laptop you tend to be more careful and I do understand the battery issues. meaning the device will not last the specifide time between charges.
            but it will give me the portabilty.
            since I'm here maby should be another post but
            I got this thing to replace my phone (Cell) but I am tired of paying the cazy rates so I looked for a WiFi device so I can use Skype for 30 a year for unlimited north American.
            I haven't set up yet still trying to figure it out. Has anyone done this type of thing if so any words of wisdom?
            Thanx again alex

Comment

You may be out of luck. Your autotap is going to be a USB slave device, and most Pocket PCs are USB slaves as well (and a slave can't control another slave.) If your PPC had a USB master setup (unlikely, I believe) then you'd be able to do it, but I seriously doubt it's possible. You're better off getting information on this from www.xda-developers.com or www.pdaphonehome.com -- I'm certainly not the last word. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by astn View Post
                You may be out of luck. Your autotap is going to be a USB slave device, and most Pocket PCs are USB slaves as well (and a slave can't control another slave.) If your PPC had a USB master setup (unlikely, I believe) then you'd be able to do it, but I seriously doubt it's possible. You're better off getting information on this from www.xda-developers.com or www.pdaphonehome.com -- I'm certainly not the last word. Good luck.
                I understand what and why you’re thinking this but from what I have learned so far is that on my PPC I can hook other devices to it like USB mouse and keyboard as well as GPS but I went with BT for this connection. So master, slave I'm not sure.
                But from the info I can glean from this and other sites is that info is designed to flow both ways to and from just as regular connections.
                I did get the palm version of software to work just can't get the driver to work with the USB although my PCC see's it just doesn’t know what to do with it just as my laptop did at first.
                Thanx keep them coming I will get this thing sooner or later
                Alex

Comment

Working...
                X