Starting the computer as you approach the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting the computer as you approach the car

Many folks discuss the amount of time it takes their carputer to POST, and ways to get from power on to music playing more quickly. An idea I've had is to power the computer before you actually get in - or even to - the car.

My car has a keyless entry system, so when I'm about twenty feet from it, I can unlock the doors with a keyfob remote. I'd like to intercept that "keyfob unlock" signal and use it to start the computer.

I figure the alarm brain probably controls the keyless entry as well, but haven't yet determined where it is located in the car.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions or ideas?

Re: Starting the computer as you approach the car

have relay switch the remote signal on.

power relay switch remote-in

so, if the switch is on, the pc will boot.
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

I'm planning on using the power features in Win2k and the VIA MOBO's bios to put the computer in hibernate mode when power is lost. So then when I start the car and by the time I get my seatbelt on the computer will be on and ready to go.

Don't know if this helps with your question?...

Greg

Comment

depending on the alarm, it may have a wire for an aux button, or - out on disarm or some other feature that you may be able to use for what you're trying to do.
        Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
        Mods: Yep
        Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Win2K?

I really cant believe people use Win2k in car PCs!
          Do you realise that probably 90% of the bootup time for Win2k is stuff that you dont need in your car?

I have a Linux machine (P100Mhz, 32mb) which boots in what feels like 4 seconds! Ive removed everything unneccessary - It has no network, floppy, cdrom, parport etc support.

Its not yet in my car but Id estimate that it boots quicker than it takes to get myself sat down and belted with the engine started.

Far more suitable for a car PC.
          loply

Comment

I like Win2k... It's what your comfortable with and is why I'm using Win2k. I've disabled all non-essential services and drivers and start only the things that I need. From hibernate mode to functioning takes less than 30 seconds.

So by the time I start the car and buckle up my gps has already got a lock on 12 satellites and is ready to track. I'm cool with that.

Greg

Comment

I think what you will find is that not many people know linux well enough to have everything they want on it. And Personaly I'm not really excited about taking the time to learn everything just so I can't have Copilot 2002 in my car.
              sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

The alarm and keyless entry system are OEM, so it won't be as easy as interfacing with a Cobra's AUX output. As I said, I haven't even figured out where it's physically located yet!

As far as the OS is concerned, Linux is clearly superior with respect to stability and speed. It lacks much of the functionality of Windows, however, particularly from the standpoint of the developer. Using Windows, there are vast quantities of free components and code snippets, speech input and output APIs, and ActiveX interfaces to all sorts of stuff. Perhaps one day I will be knowledgable enough about Linux and ambitous enough to undertake the herculean programming task... for now, though, I'm well-matched with Windows 98 Lite.

Comment

you can tap into the door lock (the pulse is usually only 1-2 sec)but you will want to be able to deactivate this with a switch or relay that is open when the car is running so you don't trip the computer if you hit the unlock button in the car,
                  also the way you connect this depends on how the locks are triggered
                  trigger -lock +unlock
                  trigger +lock -unlock
                  reverse polarity for lock or unlock
                  If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
                    depending on the alarm, it may have a wire for an aux button, or - out on disarm or some other feature that you may be able to use for what you're trying to do.
                    Ok, here's what I can offer you..

From this web site click here
                    you can read on how he removed the progressive feature to where both doors open up on one push of the button. This leaves the push push feature open for what ever you may need it for. The link is for a GM 98 Z28.//
                    My first computer install 2001 SS camaro
                    http://www.angibabi.com/carputer/index.html
                    My latest project. Much better. 2003 Mazda Miata
                    http://www.angibabi.com/miata/carputer/index.htm

Comment

I know ive seen wireless (rf) computer starters floating around (try outpost), but if you didnt mind another fob, this would be a very simple way of doing it. I don't know about the range either, but its a simple fix.
                      -Nick

Comment

I've seen that and it sounds exactly like what he wants.

I once had a link..... it's gone now apparently. I'll keep looking.

birrman54

Comment

Get 2 cell phones. Hook one up to your comp and call it with the other There are tons of remote start/shutdown modem controllers that network admins use when servers go down in the middle of the night...

That was my idea 2 years ago...hasnt progressed in any way. But hey, you can get those crappy 1cent phones and buy phone cards for them at bestbuy.

You would need something like http://www.servertech.com/products/desktop.htm to recieve a phone call and turn it on. Do a search for "remote power management" on google to get some other products. You may be able to dig something up that works with IR.

PoBoy
                          I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

Also, this circuit will activate the player from a momentary pulse, but still allow you to turn it off via a regular switch:

Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by Mxyzpltk
                              It lacks much of the functionality of Windows, however, particularly from the standpoint of the developer. Using Windows, there are vast quantities of free components and code snippets, speech input and output APIs, and ActiveX interfaces to all sorts of stuff.
                              This is getting mildly off-topic but I thought Id reply anyhow.

Yeah, if you try and use Linux as a desktop machine it (for most people) lacks way too much software. Simple things like decent IMs, file sharing apps and graphics programs just arent mature enough yet.

However, I cant understand what youre saying about developers! Probably 60% of Linux users are Linux programmers, its a programmers heaven! When I first installed Linux and started developing on it I almost orgasmed (my previous platform was Windows with MSVS and Delphi). I really cant understand how you have arrived at this conclusion.
                              loply

Comment

Working...
                              X