Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you guys build "racks" to keep case small?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys build "racks" to keep case small?

I'm currently building my own case and to make everything small enough I was wondering how do you guys fabricate "racks" or any kind of things to hold a hardrive up above the motherboard.

what is the easiest and strongest way?

Aluminium sheet.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Yeah, sure, follow Rob's way if you want strongest... but nothing beats duct tape for easiest! You do it right, it can hold up for as long as you have the car.
      Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
      Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
      Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
      Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
      ...it never ends

Comment

aluminum sheet, like those little pieces at home depot? that stuff is not cheap. 12 dollars is the minimun I think. Wouldn't it be easier to use maybe the "corner" pieces? and just cut them to length?

this does give me more ideas so thankyou,

Comment

you could also mount hard plastic. you'll just need to use a strong enough adhesive/silicon
          2000 Acura 1.6 EL (showcar) :: retired
          2003.5 BMW M3 :: new project

ClubEL.ca | ClubCSX.ca | BlackBoxHQ.ca | DCSonline.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Snortonnorton View Post
            aluminum sheet, like those little pieces at home depot? that stuff is not cheap. 12 dollars is the minimun I think.
            I use offcuts from aluminium project boxes, it's not very expensive.
            Wouldn't it be easier to use maybe the "corner" pieces? and just cut them to length?
            If you like. It's your case, do it your way.

Comment

Be creative. Use whatever you had/found. I screw mine directly to the plexi case.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

laser cut acrylic.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I screwed mine to the Lexan.
                  '02 GTI
                  [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                  [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                  [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                  [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                  Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

i took the be creative route.

took aluminum bar stock and screwed them to the inner walls with L shaped brackets I already had for box construction.

they even swivel for moving around during wiring and perhaps shock support? doubtul but super easy to fabricate up.

now I just have to remove my seat that I already raised just to test fit the box.

call me cheap, but I had a spare ATX board so with a fast cpu and 1 gig of ram, so why buy a mini ITX?

Shot with Canon PowerShot A410 at 2007-07-06

Comment

i took the be creative route.

took aluminum bar stock and screwed them to the inner walls with L shaped brackets I already had for box construction.

they even swivel for moving around during wiring and perhaps shock support? doubtul but super easy to fabricate up.

now I just have to remove my seat that I already raised just to test fit the box.

call me cheap, but I had a spare ATX board so with a fast cpu and 1 gig of ram, so why buy a mini ITX?

Shot with Canon PowerShot A410 at 2007-07-06
                      Little ghetto (who going to see it anyway) but it work. Just make sure the drive isn't wobbling or you going to have a early failure HD.

If possible, you can try to screw the drive directly (or thrugh brackets) to either one of the 4 sides.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Indeed...! Nothing wrong with using what you got if it suffices.

Comment

I went the route of long bolts and plexiglas. It did it's job.

Now I just made a case using ABS and ABS sludge. Mounted the HD to the top. Works very well for me.

Comment

Ha!

The idea of using a regular AC power plug for the CarPC is officially mine! See:

I'm just kidding, of course, but it's nice to see other people implementing it also!
                            For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
                            Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
                            Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
                              Little ghetto (who going to see it anyway) but it work. Just make sure the drive isn't wobbling or you going to have a early failure HD.

If possible, you can try to screw the drive directly (or thrugh brackets) to either one of the 4 sides.
                              the hardrive screws into one of the brackets and the bracket that it sits directly on top does not swivel. so I don't think it will wobble. If I do have a hardrive issue I will remember that this might be a weakness.

Comment

Working...
                              X