No announcement yet.

Problem with Video and custom VGA switch. XP is disabling VGA?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Video and custom VGA switch. XP is disabling VGA?

I don't know what to really search for because I don't know what terms would bring up the problem I'm having. I tried searching a few things but I could not find anything like the issue I'm having because I built a custom switch for my VGA and USB cables.

Let me start out with the hardware I have thats relevant to the issue.

Lilliput 701-GL/NP/C/T the new one that actually does not break after a few minutes of use.

Jetway J7F2WE2G-OC-PB motherboard

Custom USB/VGA 2 port switch.

Can-View device for OBD2 data

I made the custom USB/VGA switch so I could switch between my PC and my Can-View device. I tried other switches but they always messed up the USB and VGA signal. So I built a custom switch with some relays to do the switching. This caused a physical disconnect between the devices. This works fine except when I let my PC boot to windows with the switch on the Can-View. This means the VGA is disconnected from the PC during the whole boot process. When I let this happen I get a black screen and a "no signal" error on the LCD when I switch over to the PC. If I switch to the PC when it first kicks on and stay there until it fully boots I can switch to my Can-View and back to the PC with no problem. My guess here is that either the mother board or windows is to blame.

So my question is, is there a way to tell the mother board or windows that there is a monitor hooked up so it wont kill the video signal when there is not a signal there on startup?

I did a little more testing and I'm sure its windows thats causing the issue because if I leave my switch on the PC while the BIOS boots I can see everything. If I switch back to my Can-View right after the BIOS finishes and keep it there until windows boots I switch back and get a "no signal" error.

Does anyone know how to tell windows to NOT disable the VGA when no VGA is present?

So can anyone explain why Windows XP is disabling my VGA when no monitor is hooked up? Or is it the mobo thats disabling it? Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Have you tried 75 ohm termination on the RGB lines when the PC is not connected to the VGA?
        This can fool the PC into thinking a screen is still attached.
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Well I think I found the problem. I think it was the windows update version of the video driver. I uninstalled the windows update video drivers and installed the ones from jetway. I then disabled the S3 system tray thing. I also just for the heck of it installed a generic 1024x768 LCD monitor driver for the lilliput.

So far it will boot just fine with the switch on the Can-View. When XP finishes booting I switch over to the PC and the video comes up just fine.

One problem solved now on the the others.