PC and component placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC and component placement

I have started to get most of my components in the mail and am almost ready to install, but had a few questions.

Currently there are 2 places the car PC can go. I drive a 03 Dodge Durango SLT. It is very large, has 3 rows of seats. Hopefully some1 that has been in a Durango knows the layout. In the back is a hidden floor compartment, I guess for tools, but since I have road side assistance Its empty. At first I was going to place the car PC and all its components in there, but it is all the way in the back of the car, which would require tons of wiring.... There is a center arm rest compartment that is very very large and deep, not as big as the rear compartment though. My idea was to build the car PC into the arm rest.... I'm worried about heat build up though. I would like to build a case which will hold the pc and all its stuff. How should I go about cooling it though? I was thinking maybe a fan on 2 sides..... one breathing air into the case, and one breathing it out, does this sound good? Also I have bought 2 super small amps. Is it recommended to put them behind the dash? I was thinking of doing so and placing PC processor type fans on them.... Anyways any input is helpful.

PS: When it comes to the TVs that I am putting in the back, should those be touch screen also? Or should I use regular screens and simply have some type of laptop type mouse in the back arm rests?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

If you can find a case that fits in the console great.

Otherwise mount the MB and other components into the console directly.

Cooling is mostly and airflow issue. Several people recommend two fans as you describe, one intake / one exhaust.

Plan carefully and think everything out in advance.

Good luck.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Thanx I will do that....... Would it be an issue to mount the pc in the ampie case and then attach the ampie into the console.... I dont like the idea of a motherboard just open in there......... What I have decided to do (since I was able to take the console out the car), is make hooks on the inside which will be able to have velcro straps run through them, the the components can be strapped inside. All of the smaller light weight objects can be velcroed directly to the console........
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
        Thanx I will do that....... Would it be an issue to mount the pc in the ampie case and then attach the ampie into the console.... I dont like the idea of a motherboard just open in there......... What I have decided to do (since I was able to take the console out the car), is make hooks on the inside which will be able to have velcro straps run through them, the the components can be strapped inside. All of the smaller light weight objects can be velcroed directly to the console........
        Seems reasonable to me. With or without a case the components should be protected from movement or being bumped my other things that move and still operate in a reasonable temp range. Having the case inside the console just means you should plan for the airflow in and out of the case/console.

Have fun, and the best solution for you is what meets your needs.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
        X