OBD USB or LPT1 Connectors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD USB or LPT1 Connectors?

I finally found the OBD connector on my 84 Cadillac but the OBD cables I find are all made for Serial ports and since I have an FV24 and a Xenarc touchscreen the only serial hook up I have is taken so I was curious is there was a OBD to USB or Firewire or etc. optional cables you can buy to hook the computer into the OBD of my car or if it would be possible to get an adapter to change the printer port to a serial port if it would work properly.

Just pickup an USB to Serial for your FV24.

I've seen them for around $30, but your mileage may vary. (No pun intended.)

-Mario

Comment

Don't you mean serial to USB? I hope.. where can I find one?

Comment

here were you can get one from free shipping serial to USB more here
        www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

I knew you'd say that as soon as I hit submit...

Yes, most local computer chains carry them in stock...

Mail order will be a little cheaper as the last post showed...

-Mario

Comment

you may have problems with the serial to usb converter and reading / flashing your PCM, look on some sites thst do PCM programing, something to do with the datastream in and out of the PCM not working right.
            If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of but if the serial to USB adapter would work with my Xenarc Touchscreen's serial connector without a problem then that would free up the serial port for the OBD cable.

I swear though I still can't seem to find a OBDI cable and software everytime I google it I get sites for OBDII.

Comment

I posted a Techedge schematic here for one.

Comment

Try keyspan They have 4 port serial to 1 usb. Thats what I'm using to run my Xenarc touch, OBD-II scanner, Garmin GPS16, Cliffnet Wizard, and NCD relay control module (still need software, someone who knows VB please help) It works very well. You can configure the port numbers.
                  NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                  If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

OBD-II USB Interface

I've been Googling to find a business that sells USB to OBD-II interfaces. For the last several weeks I've been silently reading the forum and from numerous posts to this forum, I've gathered that the generally practiced solution is to use an RS232-to-USB converter. I would rather not use the converter, but I will if I have to. Here are the most promising leads that I've uncovered:

A German site (I don't speak German):
                    http://www.diagnose-system.de/obd-usb.html

Ross-Tech sells adapters that incorporate a dongle for exclusive use with their VAG-COM software:
                    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/hex-usb.html
                    "This interface requires a special driver to be installed on your PC. It does not emulate a COM port. That means this interface will not work with any other software besides VAG-COM. "
                    Sensolutions makes the connectors, but I don't know if they sell them directly:
                    "One of our adapter designs (TWIN-COM) is licensed to Ross-Tech, home of the VAG-COM Diagnostic Software, on an exclusivity basis."
                    I've submitted a request for information to them regarding availability and possible driver issues.

Does anyone have any knowledge concerning the existence of a USB connector for OBD-II, or shall I drown in a torrent of "just use the serial-to-USB adapter" replies ? Is there a fundamental timing or driver issue that is preventing the migration to USB?

-Stephen Wilcox
                    Up and running in my Altima:
                    VIA Epia M10000
                    Casetronic C134
                    Octanium 70w PSU
                    Travelstar 40g 2.5" HD
                    Teac DW-224E slim DVD/CDRW
                    Globlink RF wireless keyboard/trackball

Coming soon:
                    Unbelievable new touchscreen solution!

Comment

OBD-II USB Interface

I received the following response from Sensolutions. Remember that they are located in Canada, but I have not yet identified aanother manufacturer in the US.
                      Originally posted by Martin from Sensolutions
                      Yes we are currently selling OBDII to USB interface adapters. These adapters you can use with your Windows PC and legacy OBDII software by virtue of a virtual com port driver. This should work with generic OBDII software.

Our USB adapters also work with USB direct port drivers, which Ross-Tech
                      uses. This is the preferred method if you need very tight control of your
                      data stream timing.

The reason why it would be hard to find OBDII to USB has likely to do with
                      cost (and development time required): Our adapters sell for $60.00 CAD more
                      than there equivalent RS232 counter part: $199.99 CAD (~ 146.00 USD)
                      The price difference for USB is only a bit more the cost of a seperate adapter. I think I'll get one.

-Stephen Wilcox
                      Up and running in my Altima:
                      VIA Epia M10000
                      Casetronic C134
                      Octanium 70w PSU
                      Travelstar 40g 2.5" HD
                      Teac DW-224E slim DVD/CDRW
                      Globlink RF wireless keyboard/trackball

Coming soon:
                      Unbelievable new touchscreen solution!

Comment

There is a four port serial card for sale from www.dashmatics.com. It looks like its a PCI card (surfing there now to find out)YUP. And it is windows compliant. It is only 79 USD. If you already have a serial to OBDII cable for serial to your cars interface, this could be your cheapest solution.
                        Carputer:
                        MSI K7T turbo limited ed.
                        AMD Duron 600
                        TM - 701 ( Touchscreen and VGA kits will be added later)
                        ATI Rage Fury
                        looking at OPUS 150
                        512 PC100
                        40Gb HD
                        SuSE 8.2 Professional

Comment

Working...
                        X