Delco Head Unit Inputs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco Head Unit Inputs.

Today I finally got around to hacking my head unit to have audio inputs. I've had the parts for about 12+ months (I'm not lazy, just busy) Once you have the parts and figure out how to take apart your dash. Then the job is a simple as just pluging a cable into the aux port of the head unit after a little bit of soldering. Info is up on my site. Look under "System" then go to "Audio".

You will have to aquire a remote tape/cd deck. You can buy them new or at a junk yard. Pin-outs are on the site, for anybody who would like to hack it future. Aka fake the remote connection signal.

The sound quailty is great. No hissing, buzzing, or alt whine.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Any idea which of the slave tape units have the right pinouts? I know where I can get a tape unit out of an 88 chevy pickup but I am not sure it will work on the Delco unit in my 2002 GMC pickup etc.
    2002 Z-71 Rolling with an ITX MOBO, 10.4" touchscreen, 40 Gig HD, and a DVD ROM.

http://www.truckputer.com

Comment

To my knowledge the aux connecter (9 pins) has been used since the mid 90s.

Somebody with a little more knowledge in electronics could capture the "connected" signal and fake it. But that is over my head.

The most I can tell you is this. You can disconnect the remote unit after accessing it the first time. As long as the radio stays on, it thinks the remote unit is there. Even after switching back and forth from AM/FM/CD. I've read that the E&C is a serial line, but what method it uses I don't know.
      ODYSSEY

Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

I'm very interested in this as well but I cannot seem to locate it on your webpage. Your system page does not fully load.

Comment

I hacked the delco unit in my 99 cavalier the same way.

I ran a custom 9 pin wire to the trunk were I installed the cassette deck. I also installed a switch which switches between cassette and my carputer which is installed near the stereo.

Works great, no sound distortion.

Comment

I have a 2000 Yukon, and a similar rigged setup. Leave it to GM to overcomplicate a tape deck by adding a serial bus to it.. It probably uses the same J1850 VPW protocol the rest of the car uses. To interface it (or your car) with your PC, the only thing around is an interface from www.vehicleinterface.com - too bad theres no software.

If you have an older, pre-digital, analog car you are probably in luck.. this type of setup might work:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/radio.htm

...as you can see, GM used the same 9-pin connector back in the 80's as they do now, but the pinouts are all different so be careful.

Comment

Works for me

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/ODYS...ite/audio.html
              ODYSSEY

Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

Comment

Could i some how get an AUX input out of my Delco Pontiac Monsoon cd-player head unit?

Hey ODYSSEY, how do you like that steering wheel remote? how invasive is it? is it possible to mount it in a more cosmettically appealing fashion, that you can see?

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
                  Works for me

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/ODYS...ite/audio.html
                  Yeah.. it's on the audio page, not the system page. Thanks though!

Comment

so... all i want is a pair of RCA's coming out of the back of my head unit. clarity please, what do i need to go about doing?

Comment

Euclid - You need to have an EXTERNAL Delco tape deck or CD player that is SEPERATE from your head unit. If you don't have one, you need to buy one. This unit is plugged into the 9-pin AUX jack on the back of most Delco head units. Once you test the external tape deck or CD player and it works ok, follow the instructions that were posted for splicing/tapping into the three audio wires... (ground, left, and right) that are located on this 9 pin connector.

You cannot simply hook up RCA jacks to the back of a Delco.. It needs to communicate with an external deck of some sort before it will accept audio in.

Comment

ahh, cool, thanks!

has anybody seen any of these add-on peripherals for sale, used?
                        i would want the cheapest possible way... what should that be? a tape deck?

Comment

also... my current head unit has something plugged into the 9-pin, but i do not have any kind of external device! (not that i know of, anyway.)

does anybody know what could be plugged into the 9-pin?

Thanks again!

Comment

No idea what could be plugged into the 9-pin on your Monsoon. Maybe they used it for an amp instead of an aux device??? In my 2000 Yukon, I have a "standard" Delco unit and here is the 9 pin auxiliary pinout... maybe your colors will match?? Good luck!

pin - wire color - function
                            7 - pink - radio signal on
                            8 - grey - dimming
                            9 - bare - sheild ground
                            10 - dk grn/wht (or lt blue) - Right Input
                            11 - brn/wht (or orn/blk) - Left Input
                            12 - brn/wht (or lt grn) - Audio Common
                            13 - black - ground
                            14 - dk green - Entertainment & Comfort Data Stream
                            15 - orange - Fused +12V

Comment

my car has 6 wires plugged into the 9-pin harness.

at the head unit there is black, brown, orange, green, green, no shielding.

at the rear of the car where the cd changer goes there is black black brown orange green green.

no order specified. there are 2 empty spaces on one end of the harness and 1 empty space on the other.

any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X