Actuator for Monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actuator for Monitor

I am putting a 5.6" led monitor in my car. The plan is to put it in a false passenger air bag and have it raise by some electrical means, i'm thinking a mini actuator but i only wanna spend about 30 bucks...... I'm not trying to build a robot or dump the bed of a truck i just wanna raise and lower my monitor..... Any ideas????

CD-ROM Drive Mechanism..
    OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
    Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
    Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
    BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
    M2-ATX Power Supply
    RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
    Windows XP SP3

Comment

I got two login names, so that's a pretty good idea, but how much weight can they support? can they run on 12v? would that be way complicated?

Comment

One way is a linear actuator. However, they are more than $30.

You could roll your own by using a piece of threaded rod, a nut, and a small DC drive motor from a printer or something similar. The issue is adjusting it to open and close in the right spots using a limit switch.

I used a high torque servo and have controlled it at different times using the computer itself via a serial connection and servo board and also using a device called a servo tester.

It has worked flawlessly for several years. If I had to do it over again, I'd use a screwjack/linear actuator as the mechanism is tighter and would endure touch screen use more readily.

I didn't counterweight the screen, but if you did that you wouldn't need a high torque servo

Search the forums using terms "folding screen" or "motorized screen"
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

oh ok i can get nuts and rod from my work, so how would i go about it?

Comment

Find out how to build one at Wikipedia. Here's a link to how to build one from lego parts.

Here are a bunch for sale for around $60.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

Thanks alot man

Comment

i think i'll just go to a junkyard and yoink an actuator from a window, maybe even two, then i'd have switches and everything all designed to work together

Comment

What about a motorized antenna? I've heard of that being used for a similar application somewhere on this forum.

Comment

The smallest LED monitor I've ever seen was about 12 feet.
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

car door windows dont use limit switches. they work on current draw. when the motor stalls when the window is fully up/down and the current draw goes high quickly. circuits sense this and cut the power. same goes for the car antenna motor....

how about adapting a RC servo? there are kits to drive these things. and hook up to the pc........ you can get the servos in various sizes and probably find some cheap on ebay...
                      Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

how would i adapt it?

Comment

Here is how I used a servo for my screen.
                          Want to:

Comment

I don't think i have the room for a servo set up, i just need something that pops straight up, that scissor lift mentioned sounded interesting, any more details on that?

Comment

LOL! You probably have an old CD-Rom drive beging you to give it new life as a TV lift, intead, you are racking your brain with more complicated (and costly) solutions. Sometimes the answer have to reach up and smack us in the face - it just did! LOL!
                              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                              M2-ATX Power Supply
                              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                              Windows XP SP3

Comment

Working...
                              X