How to build your carputer at a liquor store

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build your carputer at a liquor store

Struggling with the method for obtaining a suitable remote control on the weekend, and I think I solved the problem.

I plan on using an IRMan like device and Girder to control the system.

After toying with my thinking cap, I ventured down to the local electrical discounters (Harvey Norman Homestarters, for the Australians) and asked if they had any orphaned remote controls - controllers that didn't have anything to control. They had a drawer full of them!

After picking one out (see below), I asked "How much?"

Seems that it couldn't go through the register, and was practically worthless to them, so I suggested a 6 pack in exchange - deal done

C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

I once purchased an old pickup truck for $250 and a 6pack. Sometimes I think the beer is worth more than the money. :-)
    A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
    pics

Comment

HAHA!

That is a GREAT idea....if I didnt already have my credit card sized one, I'd be goin to my local Dick Smiths or Harvey Norman right now!

haha.......how did u come across this idea?!
      Jarrod - Holden VX S!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrod
        how did u come across this idea?!
        I used my brain, and *FLASH* - it happened!

C!
        http://carpc.riposte.net
        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by C4M
          I used my brain, and *FLASH* - it happened!

C!
          it sure can do amazing things.. good idea..
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

i got 2 black and white ccd security cameras for a pack of cigarettes, 2L of coke, and a bag of ice
            aka Kumaneko
            "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
            Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
            mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
            Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I have done this a few times with cars I have owned. Take the car down to the body shop and get them to shave all the symbols and stickers....all for a 6 pack!
              OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
              www.whipflash.com
              Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

I got a TV yesterday for a pint of larger! The sound has gone on it, but i can use a video to send the sound to a hifi... yay! (i can now watch telly in my room)
                My Setup

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt79
                  I got a TV yesterday for a pint of larger! The sound has gone on it, but i can use a video to send the sound to a hifi... yay! (i can now watch telly in my room)
                  I got a nice 27" no sound TV by similar methods.. it worked for 2 years untill it just kicked about 2 months ago. So I've been with out a tele.. luckily i have a tuner in my computer
                  aka Kumaneko
                  "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                  Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                  mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                  Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
                    i got 2 black and white ccd security cameras for a pack of cigarettes, 2L of coke, and a bag of ice
                    I had to do a double take when I went over the word coke

Comment

wohoo

good topic lol

and wohoo i remembered my old nick password

beer or cigs is a great thing
                      i got my fully rebuilt engine for my car for a pack of cigarets my mate had pranged his car and was broke and i wanted the engine he says buy us a packet of cigs and its yours so now i have a nice new engine

picked up 2 cars 2 weeks ago for parts for a 6 pack
                      1 runs and does good burnouts

cheers
                      pcman
                      donate to my team in the ****box rally all proceeds go to the cancer council http://www.everydayhero.com.au/dodgy_mechanics

Comment

Working...
                      X