Motherboard Upgrade Recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Upgrade Recommendation

OK, it's been a while since I've spent time researching hardware on this forum, and I'm hoping for an easy answer to my question.

Here are my current specs:

Opus case:

Opus 120W DC-DC
    Via Epia MII12000
    512mb Ram
    80gb hd
    Slot load dvd
    Audigy2 ZS
    BU-353 GPS
    7" Lilliput
    USB PCI Hub

I'm basically looking to upgrade my motherboard/processor for better video/dvd and flash performance.

Any tips on whats going to be an easy swap while still giving me good performance?
    My Worklog
    2006 Tungsten Grey GT | Dark Charcoal Leather | 18" Fanblades | Spoiler Delete
    C&L Intake | Bullitt Mufflers | MGW Short-throw Shifter | MGW Interior Pieces

go with a pentinum M.

Elite PMI8M w/Intel Pentium M 1.6G CPU (OEM)
    - Elite PMI8M Mini-ITX Motherboard
    - Pentium M1.6G OEM, 2M Cache

Work great fast and have enough power for 279 at mini-box

Comment

Originally posted by tn6478 View Post
      go with a pentinum M.

Elite PMI8M w/Intel Pentium M 1.6G CPU (OEM)
      - Elite PMI8M Mini-ITX Motherboard
      - Pentium M1.6G OEM, 2M Cache

Work great fast and have enough power for 279 at mini-box
      Thanks for the tip. So that should swap out fairly easily you think? Does that board come with a new backplate or will the outputs be kind of floating in the opening of the case?
      My Worklog

Comment

So I got the Elite, swapped out the Epia, and my monitor is getting no VGA signal right now. Not too happy.
        My Worklog

Comment

Actually I can hear the fan running but I don't think the board is posting cause I hear no beap. I'll have to double check my wiring.
          My Worklog

Comment

remove any add on cards and hard drives... does it post? if not reset your CMOS, and try again.
            Setup:
            Dynaudio 240GT
            PPI PC4100, PPI PC2350
            Zapco DSP6
            ADS DAC
            Testing new board (Albatron KI690-AM2)

"I dont know if complaints were filed, or mistakes were made, but feelings were hurt." -Krystal Washington

Comment

Still no dice.

Could it be a memory issue? I'm using 512 mb PC3200 DDR from my old system. New board states 'Maximum DDR of up to 1GB DDR266'.

Edit: but I thought memory was backwards compatible.
              My Worklog

Comment

Anybody have any other ideas? Should I send this motherboard back?
                My Worklog

Comment

agree with tn6478, the board is quality built and having good performance ... i personally use it ....
                  Dell Desktop Computers

Comment

Originally posted by Lorrae View Post
                    agree with tn6478, the board is quality built and having good performance ... i personally use it ....
                    Well I still can't get it to post. I'm going to exchange it for another of the same. Meanwhile no audio in the car for another week while I wait.
                    My Worklog

Comment

What was the end of the story, did you run it?

Personally, I'm looking for a motherboard for Pentium-M (got one from my old laptop), considering this one, as they are still on sale, and searching the forum for any comments on it.
                      project progress:
                      Planning.......[--------X-] 90%
                      Parts............[-------X--] 80%
                      Fabrication....[------X---] 75%
                      Installation...[-------X--] 80%
                      Worklog

Comment

I was never able to get it to post. I'm still trying to decide on a new motherboard but haven't had a whole lot of time to do research.
                        My Worklog

Comment

Must be the memory you are using. I have had no problem with this board. Run Smooth

Comment

I tried running the mother board stripped down, no memory, nothing connected but power and processor, and it still wouldn't post.
                            My Worklog

Comment

think your PS doesnt have enough juice?

I have the opus 150 myself and Im nervous about upgrading, worried it may not be enough.
                              2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                              AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                              OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Working...
                              X