Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hacking stereo input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hacking stereo input

    All i've got in my Hyundai is a stock head unit. I was wondering if I could hack the audio lines going to the speakers so that I could place a switch to select between the head signal, and my mp3 player signal. I don't think the computer will put out a good enough level so I'm going to build a buffer/amplifier to give it some more gain. Would this be more trouble than it's worth? Should I just get a tape adaptor? Anyone done this before? pics?

    Thanks

    Michael

  • #2
    Yep, I did something similar, pictures on my site.

    Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rob Withey
      Yep, I did something similar, pictures on my site.

      Rob

      ... thought I'd let you know (you must be using css) that on your website your pictures are covering up a lot of your text.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ddt
        ... thought I'd let you know (you must be using css) that on your website your pictures are covering up a lot of your text.
        Thanks for letting me know. I'm using hand written html ("Site created with Notepad...!"). I don't see any problems on my machine. What browser are you using?


        Rob
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ddt
          ... thought I'd let you know (you must be using css) that on your website your pictures are covering up a lot of your text.
          What browser are you using? I'm using IE 5.5 and it looks fine.
          [------------------|--] 90% Completed
          Not installed, yet.
          Developing Completely DirectX shell.
          P4 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB-7200RPM HD

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rob Withey
            Thanks for letting me know. I'm using hand written html ("Site created with Notepad...!"). I don't see any problems on my machine. What browser are you using?


            Rob

            I've shrunk the thumbnails anyway, hopefully that'll help a bit, whatever the problem is.


            Rob
            Old Systems retired due to new car
            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

            Comment


            • #7
              IE 6.0 .. but maybe it's just the browser.. I'll check it out with netscape 7.

              Comment


              • #8
                by the way... it's the hardware page I'm refering to.

                For example on the hardware page see the heading "The Control Unit (Mk 1)?" Look at the two pictures side by side below it. Don't you see the text under them?

                ***LOOKS LIKE YOU FIXED IT***

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ddt
                  ***LOOKS LIKE YOU FIXED IT***
                  Cool. I'm guessing you are running at some insanely low resolution.

                  If you take the current page and squash the window a lot horizontally, you can get the pictures on top of the text, but you have to go very low res to make it happen.



                  Rob
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah, I also had that problem, IE6 1024x768. Seems to be fixed now, though.
                    -------------------------------------------
                    (=========-) 99% complete
                    --------------------------------------------
                    AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                    All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                    Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                    ----------------------------------------------

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yep I was running IE6 @ 1024x768 as well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hacking stereo input

                        Originally posted by micklemike
                        All i've got in my Hyundai is a stock head unit. I was wondering if I could hack the audio lines going to the speakers so that I could place a switch to select between the head signal, and my mp3 player signal. I don't think the computer will put out a good enough level so I'm going to build a buffer/amplifier to give it some more gain. Would this be more trouble than it's worth? Should I just get a tape adaptor? Anyone done this before? pics?

                        Thanks

                        Michael
                        Well back to the topic at hand... have you considered using an FM modulator?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What is an FM mod? Does it broadcast a short range FM signal that my tuner can pick up? How much does this run?

                          I'm thinking about buying a new head, however, with an aux input. Are Sony heads good? Otherwise, Alpine.

                          Thanks

                          Michael

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by micklemike
                            What is an FM mod? Does it broadcast a short range FM signal that my tuner can pick up? How much does this run?

                            I'm thinking about buying a new head, however, with an aux input. Are Sony heads good? Otherwise, Alpine.

                            Thanks

                            Michael
                            Yes siree... that is exactly what it is.

                            Cost... that depends. I picked one up on ebay the other day for about $35 with shipping and all.

                            And new head... is always good but buying head is not.

                            da da ching !

                            and remember folks, the 8 AM show is totally different that the 12AM.. please feel free to stop back by...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X