VIA Opinions - EN15000G vs EX15000G

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Opinions - EN15000G vs EX15000G

I'm relatively new to this whole CarPC thing. budget in mind, and current availability have landed me with two choices for a board. I'm going to keep using my factory radio system, and just adding a carpc via Aux in to get GPS Navigation, DVD playback, MP3 playback, Satellite radio, WLAN, and Outlook. The front end will be streetdeck. I've searched high and low, VIA's site, online stores, this forum, and I can't seem to figure out which is the better board?

The EX series has a better video card, but less USB's on the back. The EN series has some new faster bus? I'm just lost. It's so confusing. Is anyone familiar with VIA who could possibly shed some light as to which board would perform better?

I thank you in advance.

Mike

(PS. it's my first post, I'm sorry if it's such a noob question if it is)

I've just compared the specs of both boards. The EX is a newer board. It has a newer chipset, better video accellerator, has SATA connections and, and this may be the best part, better audio connections. I don't know how much you care about audio quality but older epia boards like mine have a habit not to perform very well on this part.

On the other hand the EN board has only one really good feature compared to the EX and that's 4 USB connections. Altough I think of this as also a pretty important feature since hub's don't always work as they should, I find this less important compared to the benefits you will have on the EX board. The EX really is designed to be a mediacenter board and since a CarPC is a mediacenter in your car...

Actualy it really is up to you wich board to choose but maybe this was a little bit helpfull.

And BTW: Welcome on these forums!
    BMW 525tds -Biostar I94GM-I4 -Celeron M44O 1,86GHz, M2-ATX, 1Gb, 320GB -HQCT RDS tuner -Creative Extigy -iBus controller -Lilliput 7" touchscreen -DLS Ultimate A7 amplifier -Focal 130K, 130V, 27V2 speakers

Bezel Worklog-My Install -iDrive F01 RR Skin

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerstyle View Post
      I've just compared the specs of both boards. The EX is a newer board. It has a newer chipset, better video accellerator, has SATA connections and, and this may be the best part, better audio connections. I don't know how much you care about audio quality but older epia boards like mine have a habit not to perform very well on this part.

On the other hand the EN board has only one really good feature compared to the EX and that's 4 USB connections. Altough I think of this as also a pretty important feature since hub's don't always work as they should, I find this less important compared to the benefits you will have on the EX board. The EX really is designed to be a mediacenter board and since a CarPC is a mediacenter in your car...

Actualy it really is up to you wich board to choose but maybe this was a little bit helpfull.
      And BTW: Welcome on these forums!

Thank you very much for your reply. You certainly made my decision easy. EX it is. Hopefully it's a good choice. I've already got a Globalsat GPS USB receiver, slim slot dvdrw, 160Gb WD Scorpio SATA hdd, 1 gig OCZ dd2 533mhz ram, and I've ordered up the Voom2 pc case with an M2-ATX PSU, connecting to my factory Bose system using an AXXESS aux/XM integration module. The screen is a custom motorized unit with a Xenarc screen. I've also got Streetdeck for a front end. Hopefully, it will all work as I'd like it to. I'm a bit worried that the software might end up being a bit taxing on the system specs, but I'm on a budget, and parts up here in Canada are hard to get in this form factor.

Comment

On-board Audio

I don't know about the EX, but the EN has a problem where the on-board audio sometimes goes into a full volume tone that could cause damage to your amp/speakers. As far as I know, the only solution is to use a PCI audio card instead of the on-board audio. This won't be possible with a Voom ("ampie") case.

Comment

audi rhodes greece

i have ex 15000g my opinion is that are almost the same think

Comment

I don't know about the EX, but the EN has a problem where the on-board audio sometimes goes into a full volume tone that could cause damage to your amp/speakers. As far as I know, the only solution is to use a PCI audio card instead of the on-board audio. This won't be possible with a Voom ("ampie") case.
            I don't know about that one. But as I said the main advantage of the EX vs. the EN is the improved audio codec (VT1708A vs the VT1618). So I guess the problem is solved in that one.

I however have a M10000 and have the VT1616 audio codec. Never had any problems with it. Except for the poor quality of course...

USB soundcard? I have an Extigy. Works like a charm!
            BMW 525tds -Biostar I94GM-I4 -Celeron M44O 1,86GHz, M2-ATX, 1Gb, 320GB -HQCT RDS tuner -Creative Extigy -iBus controller -Lilliput 7" touchscreen -DLS Ultimate A7 amplifier -Focal 130K, 130V, 27V2 speakers

Bezel Worklog-My Install -iDrive F01 RR Skin

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys...
              So I've picked up the EX15000, and tossed it into the case. It has RCA out's for the onboard audio, and it seems to be working flawlessly for me. I have one concern, which is when I play back an avi file, it's very smooth, but it seems to be in slow motion almost. The audio sounds fine, but the video doesn't seem to keep up. Has anyone experienced this and have any fixes?

cheers,

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X