Hardware placement issues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware placement issues!

I have finally started my CarPC build. Originally everything was to go into the center console, but when I decided to add more things to the PC (2 PCI slot riser that faces out, graphics card, and 5 port USB card.), the PC became bigger. I still figured it would fit, but when I recieved my Morex 2777, it was way to big for the center console. I was wondering if you had any ideas of were I can pu the case?

Under the seat will not work, there are to many electronics and other stuff, plus the case dimensions are to big.

In the back of the car will not work, do to the fact that I take my dogs with me alot of places and Im worried they will harm the PC. Plus my car is huge and relocating the all componenets from the console to the rear would be way to hard.

Was thinking of bolting it to one of the bottoms of the 2nd row seats, but those seats have funny configurations to allow for the seat to tumble forward.......

The only 2 options I can see is redoing the passenger's seat to use the pocket at the back of it to house the and case. Other option is to make a new sealed compartment at the bottom of the car that is accesable through a hatch in the floor.

Please guys give me feed back on what you would do, and what idea i should go for..... Or if you have an idea!!!!

Thanx in advance!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

I don't know what your glove box is like but have you thought about there?

My Mac Mini, Carnetix PSU, USB hub and ground loop isolator are all in mine with loads of room to spare, but I know my wife's PT Cruiser glovebox barely fits the owner's manual!

Comment

I have an exotic idea. How 'bout under the hood. Comp and all. In the case of a truck or SUV (like mine) you may have a ton of room in the compartment. You will surely have to take some extra precautions to make sure it is dry and what not. But all and all it is feasible considering how many other electronics are under there already. Just an idea. This is what I'm doing in my Lincoln Aviator. There is a ton of room at the rear to the right of the engine. And it's very high up above the wheel well so it's protected (for the most part) from the elements.

Comment

Behind internal panels...

Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

A custom box...
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Well the hood idea is a good one, but in the future I plan on upgrading the engine with 2 massive hood scoops for all the extra power the engine upgrades will produce, so thats a no no. I dont know how other Durangos are but mine has 3 rows of seats and on one end of the back panel it has its own A/C blower system to cool the back.... and the other side seems way to small..... I decided on a more direct route.... put it in the open, well kinda. As you know most cars have a pocket on the passenger seat on the back. I decided to have the pocket removed, then have the PC mounted to were the pocket use to be, then have it wraped in the same leather as the seats (except were the air holes are of course) The PC you would simply push up and out and you can take it out and work on it........ I decided to do it this way because, remember all the other components are in the center console so there will not be any extending of wires to connect anything. For security purposes every last part that can be covered, will be covered so prying eyes do not know what it is. To access the front panel, which will be facing up for easy access to USB and firewire ports, there will be a special flap to hide that when not in use. Unfortuanely this will be costly do to the fact the seat has to be redone and the PC mounted the way I want.... I am not going to even try to do this myself and end up with a ugly PC and an even Uglier Passenger seat.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Make sure you post pictures when it's done. I'd like to see that.

Comment

Working...
              X