Fingerprint Identification - AGAIN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fingerprint Identification - AGAIN

I saw the episode of American Chopper last night where they built the Intel bike and had it wired for ignition through thumb print recognition, and I was hoping they'd explain how the Switchback box worked by they never did. And from what I could tell, they had the computer turn on separately from the ignition, and once it was on they could provide their thumb print to send a signal to the starter to start the bike. So I got to thinking of a couple scenarios where I could implement this similarly on my car.

1. Get in and use my thumb print to start the car. The problem with this is the computer isn't on so it won't recognize the print and won't work. This is why most threads on this topic have failed.

2. Start the computer by pushing a button and then provide your thumb print once it's ready to start the car. It'd be much easier and more efficient to simply use a push button to start the car, but then you're not using your thumb print.

3. Have some sort of keyfob or something which sends a signal to the computer when you're near the car to turn the computer on and engage the fingerprint reader without the screen coming on. This way you get the feeling that nothing is on since the screen is still disabled. But the computer is on and ready for your print once you get in the car and it starts as soon as you provide it. The problem with this is the computer would still have to be on in order to accept the signal from the keyfob to engage the reader.

I made a thread about this a while back when I had less information but I have been thinking about it since last night and can't really come up with any solutions. Does anyone else have information to add? The problem is you can't use it without it being powered so it would therefore have to be powered constantly and then you run the risk of draining your battery depending on how much current it draws.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
    I saw the episode of American Chopper last night where they built the Intel bike and had it wired for ignition through thumb print recognition, and I was hoping they'd explain how the Switchback box worked by they never did. And from what I could tell, they had the computer turn on separately from the ignition, and once it was on they could provide their thumb print to send a signal to the starter to start the bike. So I got to thinking of a couple scenarios where I could implement this similarly on my car.

1. Get in and use my thumb print to start the car. The problem with this is the computer isn't on so it won't recognize the print and won't work. This is why most threads on this topic have failed.

2. Start the computer by pushing a button and then provide your thumb print once it's ready to start the car. It'd be much easier and more efficient to simply use a push button to start the car, but then you're not using your thumb print.

3. Have some sort of keyfob or something which sends a signal to the computer when you're near the car to turn the computer on and engage the fingerprint reader without the screen coming on. This way you get the feeling that nothing is on since the screen is still disabled. But the computer is on and ready for your print once you get in the car and it starts as soon as you provide it. The problem with this is the computer would still have to be on in order to accept the signal from the keyfob to engage the reader.

I made a thread about this a while back when I had less information but I have been thinking about it since last night and can't really come up with any solutions. Does anyone else have information to add? The problem is you can't use it without it being powered so it would therefore have to be powered constantly and then you run the risk of draining your battery depending on how much current it draws.
    I wouldnt recommend any of those because the computer would be on when the car isnt for potentially too long.

I think the only solution would be a hardware independant of the PC which would then be able to startup the car, and then the computer.

I too started to think about this again when I got my new laptop. It has a fingerprint reader in it. It is a UPEK hardware brand that Toshiba has put in their computers. The UPEK hardware has a built in flash storage. I know this because there is no way to get rid of a stored fingerprint through software without the original fingerprint! Very secure but annoying as hell.

If you reformat the computer, the old fingerprint ID is still in there. So it has to have internal independant storage. Now this sensor can function without the OS loaded although it wont do anything but flash the screen.

So my guess about it is that the reader and processor are all on this little independant sensor. And at worst, it can be read through a PIC simulating the actual processor.

UPEK has been less than forthcoming about how it works since that basically destroys their security, but I think this is the direction people interested in this have to go. I havent gotten any further as I have been too busy with school, but there may be someone that can help.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

hmmmmm, i know the answer

well i have been planing to implement a finger print scanner with rfid in my car aswell. my plan is to unlock the car through rfid or remote. on doing so i would trigger a relay which would start up the carpc. by the time u reach to ur car the pc would have booted presuming u have fact booting ( 30 sec.) and ur finger print scanner would be ready for use, as for the software part i am still searching for an application would could give me a trigger on the parallel, serial or usb port which would trigger the ignition relay.

Comment

I figure you could do it with the Fusion Brain. Starting the computer with remote dor unlock is a good idea though.

unlock car and computer starts
        computer is ready for fingerprint acceptance
        get in and place thumb on top of shifter where fingerprint receiver is located
        car starts

You'd still have to put the key in and turn the ignition to unlock the steering wheel though. You'll be able to drive away but you won't be able to turn.
        Ampie Case
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

the best way to do this is independant of the pc for obvious reasons... look into fingerprint door locks or fingerprint safes... a few hundred & some butchering & you can do this... to have to wait or depend on the pc will become annoying real quick...
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I didn't see the show but I have been looking to do this for a while in my wrangler. Would be pretty cool little feature!
            Project Page - 1993 Wrangler Jeeputer
            Progress Meter {**-------} 15% most of the parts are in or have been ordered... Assembly has begun!!!!

Comment

yeah, do you really want to trust being able to start your car to windows?

of course, you could build a parallel backup system so that if windows crashes or your computer won't start, you can start your car manually.

I have to admit, if you built a system that starts the car like Transporter 2's Audi, that would be Sick as hell and worth the effort.

Comment

Of course you would have to have a backup, like starting it with the key. If only for the times you valet or something like that. Lets face it though it would be neat to get in your car, and lay your finger down for it to start. It was said earlier that the safes and keyless door locks would be the way to go, if you have the money...
                Project Page - 1993 Wrangler Jeeputer
                Progress Meter {**-------} 15% most of the parts are in or have been ordered... Assembly has begun!!!!

Comment

If I were to do this I would remove any manual ways of doing it like the key. The purpose of it, besides being cool, is to deter theives who would utilize an ignition. I would, however, have some sort of remote system like using my cell phone to start it or something as a backup.
                  But nobody's addressed the wheel locking yet.
                  Ampie Case
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

well, putting a print reading lcd in the glove compartment like the audi in transporter 2 is simply a must if you're gonna go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                      the best way to do this is independant of the pc for obvious reasons... look into fingerprint door locks or fingerprint safes... a few hundred & some butchering & you can do this... to have to wait or depend on the pc will become annoying real quick...
                      Thats why you get a fast pc =] plus the new win 7 boots pretty fast

Comment

I agree with the prementioned route of using biometric door locks or safes as the easiest and most secure route. Simply because computers break, don't boot, or any other of a thousand things that can screw you over if you want to start your car. But as always to each their own, for example one of the members on this site has two lcds as their gauges powered through windows and it looks amazing but if the computer went kaput, there goes all the ways of getting critical information to the driver. Sorry officer my computer didn't load so how could I know I was going 70

If anybody wants examples of locks, look here
                        -SwiftDeath

Comment

If you're good with an Atmel or PIC microcontroller, you can use a slide-based fingerprint reader from SparkFun Electronics. That way it's completely embedded and not dependent on a PC (and can even turn the PC on). It's also cheaper than the deadbolt option. Details on the fingerprint reader: SEN-08881, http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8881.

Comment

Shame they're out of stock, I'd get one of those in a heartbeat, it'd go good with the uC I am putting in my car.
                            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

might have already been mentioned but I didn't read all the posts,

Could you not simply connect a relay to the remote central locking, so when you unlock the car the relay powers on the carputer circuit, once you have power you figure out a way to send an on command to the PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X