No announcement yet.

Question about DVD drive installation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about DVD drive installation.

I've ordered everything I need for my carpc save for a dvd drive.

I would of course like this to be mounted in my glove box, instead of having to run back to the trunk to swap discs out.

Do people usually use a USB version for this, or an IDE type optical?

It would be easy to run a USB up to the front, but what about an IDE type device?

WOuld the use of a USB type require the swapping in of an IDE type during windows installation and initial configuration before installing it into the car?

Sorry if this is a simple question.'

2006 MazdaSpeed6

Bigger Turbo, tuned with supporting mods.

-CarPC in car and completely functional.....still tweaking minor things.
    -Still trying to figure out the CarPC thing :)

Dont see a prob with USB, as long as your motherboard supports booting from usb, ive installed windows xp from an external usb cd rom drive before with no issues.

Ive also used USB DVD burners before, the only thing ive found is there a little bit slower, but just for playing music etc, will be perfect...

CarPuter Progress:
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
    Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

Originally posted by forrestang View Post
      I would of course like this to be mounted in my glove box, instead of having to run back to the trunk to swap discs out.
      I can see that being a hassle, especially while driving.

Do people usually use a USB version for this, or an IDE type optical?
      USB
      It would be easy to run a USB up to the front, but what about an IDE type device?
      USB is far easier, considering the max length of IDE cable is 18", per the specification. (Longer cables can be used, but with no guarantee of success)
      WOuld the use of a USB type require the swapping in of an IDE type during windows installation and initial configuration before installing it into the car?
      No.
      But you should do all your setup & config with the system on a bench. It's a lot easier to get everything done without sitting out in the car....
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have ordered thus far:

-Mobo/Processor
        -Case
        -PSU
        -Ram
        -2.5 SAT 60GB HD
        -IGuidance 4.0
        -GPS antena BU355

-DVD, not ordered yet

I'm guessing all of my components will be here within the next 2 weeks, so if I'm on schedule I should be completed with my CarPC within the next 2 years
        2006 MazdaSpeed6

Bigger Turbo, tuned with supporting mods.

-CarPC in car and completely functional.....still tweaking minor things.
        -Still trying to figure out the CarPC thing :)

Comment

Working...
        X