why does everyone want 800 X 480?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does everyone want 800 X 480?

I noticed everyone wants to know if boards can put out 800 by 480, why is this better than 800 X 600, is this because it would look better on widescreen?

just curious.

in a word... yes. Most of the 7" and 8" widescreens have a native resolution of 800x480. Running the resolution at anything other than native resolution causes the LCD to attempt to scale the image to the chosen resolution to the best of it's ability. Some LCD's are better at this than others.

Long story short... running the LCD at any resolution other than the native will reduce picture quality.

Comment

If you have a display that is native to 800x480, and put let's say 800x600 for the resolution, it will try and split the horizontal pixels up to share 4 physical pixels for every 5 virtual pixels. So it will blend these pixels together and may (will) look a little blurry. Usually it doesn't look so terrible that it's unbearable, but the more virtual pixels are shared, the blurrier it gets (also text size becomes unreadable.)

Basically what nst6563 said, anything other than what it's native res is will reduce the quality because it tries to stretch the pixels to fit within the native res. If you can't get the res the way you want because of mobo issues, there's a software I think called powerstrip that enables any custom resolution.
      2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
      Car PC Progress:
      Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
      Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
      Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
      RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
      View my
      Worklog
      Road Runner Skins
      Website
      Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

if you use 16:9 screen, you need 16:9 resolution.
        ------------------------------

98 Honda civic
        In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
        cappuccino EZ3
        PIII-1.2GHZ
        256MB PC133
        40GB HD
        Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
        IguidanceV2
        CNX-P1900 power supply
        Sound Blaster Live USB

Comment

These screens are often 15:9 though

Another thing is that everything gets deformed. A circle will be more like an oval and movies tend to look a bit strange too...

Joachim
          List of front-ends/usefull apps
          XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

ok, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Now, will the Intel mini ITX boards onboard video support 800 by 480?

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
              If you can't get the res the way you want because of mobo issues, there's a software I think called powerstrip that enables any custom resolution.
              2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
              Car PC Progress:
              Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
              Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
              Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
              RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
              View my
              Worklog
              Road Runner Skins
              Website
              Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

oh yeah, forgot about powerstrip.

i remember that from when i used to try the ol' diy lcd projector fun.

Comment

Simply because the picture would otherwise be distorted
                  Business Services UK a provider of financial and web related services

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
                    If you can't get the res the way you want because of mobo issues, there's a software I think called powerstrip that enables any custom resolution.
                    Not true.

Powerstrip gives some more options than the standard drivers alone, but a lot of graphics cards just won't support custom resolutions without driver/bios updates.

If it desn't work out of the box, there's a change powerstrip will help, but it's by no means guaranteed to work!

Joachim
                    List of front-ends/usefull apps
                    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60 View Post
                      Not true.

Powerstrip gives some more options than the standard drivers alone, but a lot of graphics cards just won't support custom resolutions without driver/bios updates.

If it desn't work out of the box, there's a change powerstrip will help, but it's by no means guaranteed to work!

Joachim
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                      X