Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help.. my player is acting crazy!!

hi guys,
    I realy like this forum and it's community.
    i have been around mp3car.com for a while
    now, and I started my mp3 box but practical building
    is very hard..planning was fun though.
    I bought my self a power inverter 12v to 220v
    with 150wats stable, and 300 wats max.
    When i connected my PII 300 celeron, the speakers
    gave out this Buzz which was louder than the music
    i tried adding ground to the psu, and didn't work.
    after lots and lots of trial and error, i was able to make
    the buzz go (i still don't know how). one time i had to take
    the box up to my house, after reinstalling it, the buzz came again.
    after a month or so of not using it, faith intervened when i was
    forced to take the PIII PSU that was in the car, and put it
    for my home PC. hence i had to buy a new psu.. which in this case is the P4 psu. amazingly the thing eleminated the buzzing the extra static electircity which realy realy bits me if i touched the old psu and the chassis.. OUCH.
    but one thing went bad!! the IR.
    My father built it for me, this guy on the net had put up the schematics...etc now, the IR will not work proparly, after a few clicks it hangs and deosn't respond, i found that most of the time this happens after long/continous click on a button (like Vol+)

plz what can i do to solve this.. i would like to stay on the P4 psu.

thnx

Re: Help.. my player is acting crazy!!

Originally posted by fadik
    hi guys,
    I realy like this forum and it's community.
    i have been around mp3car.com for a while
    now, and I started my mp3 box but practical building
    is very hard..planning was fun though.
    I bought my self a power inverter 12v to 220v
    with 150wats stable, and 300 wats max.
    When i connected my PII 300 celeron, the speakers
    gave out this Buzz which was louder than the music
    i tried adding ground to the psu, and didn't work.
    after lots and lots of trial and error, i was able to make
    the buzz go (i still don't know how). one time i had to take
    the box up to my house, after reinstalling it, the buzz came again.
    after a month or so of not using it, faith intervened when i was
    forced to take the PIII PSU that was in the car, and put it
    for my home PC. hence i had to buy a new psu.. which in this case is the P4 psu. amazingly the thing eleminated the buzzing the extra static electircity which realy realy bits me if i touched the old psu and the chassis.. OUCH.
    but one thing went bad!! the IR.
    My father built it for me, this guy on the net had put up the schematics...etc now, the IR will not work proparly, after a few clicks it hangs and deosn't respond, i found that most of the time this happens after long/continous click on a button (like Vol+)

plz what can i do to solve this.. i would like to stay on the P4 psu.

thnx
    Are you using a P4 mobo? If not then stay with what works. If P4 PSU means that much to you, buy the P3 to P4 adapter. When I was in Hong Kong, P4 adapters cost around $3 USD. If you want to totally eliminate the buzz, buy a DC-DC PSU.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

the motherbord is still PII 300 Celeron.
      I have already invested a good deal of money on this
      inverter. it is realy pro. like it shuts down if the bat is about to
      die, it has light indicators...etc
      and is it multi purpose (i.e it can power cam corder, small tv..etc)
      so i am not thinking of fixin this prob by paying another 100 bucks for a Dc-Dc !!

didn't anyone experience any sort of the same problem.
      that thing that realy kills me is after the P4 psu helped alot,
      the IR is going crazy..
      now if i connect the box (p4+Pii mobo..etc) to a normal home power the ir works great!!!!!!
      so only upon connecting to the inverter things get messed up.

Comment

Most, if not all, decent quality inverters will do what your inverter will do. you might try a different, more powerful inverter. and did you ground the case and the inverter to the same spot?
        -Nick

Comment

since i made a custom PlexiGlass case for the motherbord..etc
          I didn't ground it... but i did (ofcourse) ground the inverter.
          should i take a line of one of the screws holding the motherbord
          and ground it to the same spot of the inverter.. or ground the psu it self (though I did that)

Comment

I'm watching for an answer to the last guy's question b/c I'm wondering the same thing.
            I've read has "inverter", "power", "ground" etc in it but there still seems to be some disagreement as to what components should be grounded.
            For my set up, I've got one of the these aluminum tool box/briefcase type things for my PC case, a regular PS at 250w and an inverter at 300w min/600w max.
            So, which of the following should be grounded and, in my situation, since my case is this aluminum thing; does that make any difference.

-PC case (aluminum) ?
            -power supply case ?
            -motherboard ?
            -inverter ?

Once I decide what all should be grounded, I guess I'll ground them all to the same spot since that what other posts have indicated. Ok.... so I have a BMW so the the battery is in the trunk of the car. Should I go ahead and use the same ground that the battery uses or can I even attach my grounds to the battery's negative terminal??
            _____
            MP3 in my BMW so....BMp3W
            Aluminum tool-type briefcase
            15" NEC LCD monitor w/ Ram Mount
            60gig hdd, 6,500 mp3's
            PII 333mhz, Biostar M6TLC mobo
            250w ATX power supply (AC/DC)
            Whistler PP300AC inverter
            Lian Li port extender to front of car for KB, finger mouse, power/reset/LEDs
            90% finished: troubleshooting phase

Comment

The inverter needs to be grounded to be used, so thats not optional which leaves the case/psu/motherboard, which in a metal case should all be grounded together, so you should just be able to run a wire from the case to the same spot as the inverter. If you're within a few feet of the battery, I don't see (then again, im not a big car audio guy, so someone more knowledgable might come along) why you couldn't just attach them to the neg. terminal. In the case of the plexiglass case, the motherboard should be grounded to the psu, which should then be grounded to the same point as the inverter. And a "P4" psu (atx 2.03) will function the same as any other atx psu, it just has the extra power leads for the p4 and agp pro connectors. The newer psu is probably just built with higher quailt components/design.
              -Nick

Comment

From what I've found, you can't run a PSU off of an invertor if the max output from the PSU is greater than the running rating of your invertor. Since you're using a P4 PSU, I guarantee that you're overloading your invertor. You've got three choices:

1) Get a bigger invertor
                2) Get a smaller PSU
                3) Get a DC->DC PSU

I'd go with #2 because it's going to be your cheapest route. You can get a 145w PSU that's built for an eMachines box for maybe $20 online.

example: http://www.directron.com/145sf1.html

Comment

I agree with CrazyLittle's prognosis.. There is no way that inverter is going to be able to handle that psu.

Secondly.. if you are wondering if it should be grounded.. it probably should

in a normal home computer the case is made from some type of metal to wich the psu and motherboard are both screwed.. the AC psu runs to a ground source so the whole thing is grounded... what you want to do in your car is since your case is plastic.. you shoud run a grounding wire from a mounting point on your mobo to your psu then run a ground from your psu to the same point that the inverter is grounded.

This should clear up your buzz

If you are getting big time static shocks from your system SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY WRONG. If grounding everything doesn't solve this, then i suggest taking it apart and figuring out why you are getting shocks
                  aka Kumaneko
                  "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                  Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                  mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                  Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

What sort of inverter do you have? don't connect your computer's earth to the car's 'earth'! that's really dangerous!

The 'earth' at the AC end of your inverter isn't always the same as the ground on your car, and you shouldn't tie that to your battery, else you can start upsetting your inverter, computer and car electrical system... Your computer should be 'grounded' to the inverter's earth point, and nothing else.

If you're getting zaps while touching the computer's shielding, and the car chassis, then it's likely that AC 'earth' and your car chassis are not continuous, and you should be very very careful when doing anything near the computer with the inverter switched on. You could get a nasty zap!

If you're getting a loud buzzing noise, you probably have earth loops in your car... try to think about what's wired up in your car and see if there are any situations where the earth can run around in circles in the electrical system. Don't forget to look out for things like your RCA cable shields touching the chassis too!

Comment

Working...
                    X