Agree With My Computer Choice??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree With My Computer Choice??

Okay, I've got the cables and Lilliput on order and due in this week. I debated on whether or not to use my old computer which is a 2.4ghz Intel Dell computer, 40gig IDE hard drive with 1gig RAM, 1.1 USBs, external video and sound (just built a new home computer, so this is spare) as a carputer.....but after a little consideration, I think I've decided to go ahead a build a new one for $250. Here's the specs on the new one and wanted to get some input on it before I ordered it. Also I'm planning on using a M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU with this setup too.

ABIT NF-M2S nVIDIA GeForce 6100 CHIPSET MICRO ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/1xPCI-E(X1)/2xPCI/2xDDR2 W/INTEGRATED VGA,SATA2 RAID,LAN(Gb),USB 2.0 & AUDIO

ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ EE - BRISBANE
    CRUCIAL 2GB DDR2 667 (1GB x 2)

SEAGATE 160GB ST3160811AS / ST3160815AS NCQ SATA2 7200RPM 8MB

Should I save some $ and go with less speed? I'm planning on running Centrafuse with Navi. THANKS for any input on this!!!
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk #102
    Processor: AMD 64 X2 BE-2350 (Dual Core)
    Motherboard: ABit NF-M2S (Micro-ATX)
    Memory: 2GIG Crucial DDR2 667
    Hard Drive: WD 160GIG
    Monitor: 7" Lilliput 629GL
    Front End: CentraFuse With Navigation

Don't order that hardware.

An M2ATX isn't going to come close to powering that setup.
    It's also complete overkill for a vehicle.

The goal isn't necessarily less speed, but lower power draw. You're working with a box that is defined by the power restraints of a vehicle's 12v electrical system.
    While you can power quite a bit, especially with a beefy battery & alternator, there isn't a DC-DC PSU on the market that will touch that setup.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Don't order that hardware.

An M2ATX isn't going to come close to powering that setup.
      It's also complete overkill for a vehicle.

The goal isn't necessarily less speed, but lower power draw. You're working with a box that is defined by the power restraints of a vehicle's 12v electrical system.
      While you can power quite a bit, especially with a beefy battery & alternator, there isn't a DC-DC PSU on the market that will touch that setup.
      Agreed. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but it's not much more to go duo-core so figured why not ask before I guy. Think I'd be safe with my old computer? I could always upgrade later if anything... Only downfall would be the old USB and external video and sound, but I could work around that, I have room to put it in the hawk. Thanks for the input!!
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk #102
      Processor: AMD 64 X2 BE-2350 (Dual Core)
      Motherboard: ABit NF-M2S (Micro-ATX)
      Memory: 2GIG Crucial DDR2 667
      Hard Drive: WD 160GIG
      Monitor: 7" Lilliput 629GL
      Front End: CentraFuse With Navigation

Comment

Working...
      X