5v relay wiring help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5v relay wiring help!

i have a spdt 5vdc relay that i am trying to use to send out a +12v signal when activated. Can someone tell or show me how to wire it up thanks. This is the diagram from the back of the box.

NC NO

L1 L2 COM

Connect 5V and gnd to L1-L2. That will energize the relay coil. Connect 12V to NO and it will be switched to COM when the relay is energized.
    ~Jimmy

Comment

ok i kinda thought that was how it went but the relay makes a buzzing sound, i got it from radioshack it looked like it was opened before so i guese its bad. Thanks for your help

Comment

Is that pinout looking from the topside of the relay or from the bottom (where the pins are)? You can find out if the relay matches the pinout with an ohmmeter. Resistance between the coil L1-L2 leads should be low but not zero, maybe a few hundred ohms. The COM-NC will read shorted, near zero. The NO lead should not give any reading with respect to any other lead unless the coil is energized.

You can make any relay operate as a buzzer: connect V+ to NC, COM to L1 or L2, and ground the other coil lead. The relay will turn on, breaking the connection and allowing it to turn back off. Then when the armature comes to rest on the NC contact it will turn on again, repeating the process.

If you operate a 5V relay off 12V, it will still actuate. It will draw more current than intended and probably overheat. I say all of this becaus there is a good chance your relay isn't bad. It might be you have the wrong pinout, or the wrong part was in the package when you bought it.
        ~Jimmy

Comment

the pinout is looking from the bottom and is correct since there is only 5 pins. the coil reads 0.06 on 20k ohm. I got 5v+ signal going to L1, 12- going to L2, and 12+ to COM, but still no power switched to NO. I checked the power output on my signal and it is not 5v its like 3.54 and think this is the problem. I think I might have to get another relay that can trigger off of 3.54.

Comment

would this work? Thanks
            http://cgi.ebay.com/FOTEK-SOLID-STAT...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by aalouie View Post
              That is much bigger and more expensive than a relay. It should work though.

Edit: I just looked again and the SSR is for AC loads. It won't work for DC. You can get one that is for dc though.
              ~Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyFitz View Post
                That is much bigger and more expensive than a relay. It should work though.
                No. It won't work for the application in question. Not to mention the 1.6V voltage drop due to the internal diodes.
                Eastern Voltage Research Corp.
                http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by eastvolt View Post
                  No. It won't work for the application in question. Not to mention the 1.6V voltage drop due to the internal diodes.
                  What is the application? I don't recall that the OP ever said. I see that the relay is for switching AC loads. So I stand corrected, it won't work.
                  ~Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyFitz View Post
                    What is the application? I don't recall that the OP ever said. I see that the relay is for switching AC loads. So I stand corrected, it won't work.
                    duh. i have a spdt 5vdc relay that i am trying to use to send out a +12v signal when activated
                    Eastern Voltage Research Corp.
                    http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by eastvolt View Post
                      duh. i have a spdt 5vdc relay that i am trying to use to send out a +12v signal when activated
                      Signal to WHAT? Voltage level only or turn on a current pulling load? Not enough info
                      ~Jimmy

Comment

its for a hidden key fob starter. key fob device is supposed to send 5v+ signal when keyfob is next to sensor. Unfortunately its only givin out 3.54v not enough to activate the coil. The relay is supposed to switch on 12v+ to a 50amp 12v relay to crank the starter.

Comment

I was finally able to find a relay with a 3v coil and i think i is rated at 10amp. A little pricey but it should work. Ill let you know how i goes when it comes in the mail. Thanks for all your guys help.

Comment

I would try one of these solid state relays:
                            Crydom DMO063 -- RELAY SSR 3A 60VDC SPST-NO SIP
                            available from Digikey for $17.52
                            http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=CC1139-ND
                            ~Jimmy

Comment

This is what i got hopefully i will receive them early next week
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180185400188

Comment

Working...
                              X