Constant to pulse, how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant to pulse, how?

well before anyone tell me to search, i have searched and i found how to do something similar to what i want to do,

but this will make a pulse when the key is switched on, what i want to do is to pulse when the key is turned off, anyone have ideas?
    Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Add a double throw relay. Connect the arm to the circuit and 12 volt fused to the contacts. This way you get a negitive pulse each time the relay is turned on or off.
    If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
    I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
    The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
    Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

Comment

Originally posted by KB5WID View Post
      Add a double throw relay. Connect the arm to the circuit and 12 volt fused to the contacts. This way you get a negitive pulse each time the relay is turned on or off.
      could you go into a little more detail? i've read your post about 20 times but i just feel like banging my head against the desk , cause i can't figure it out.
      Scion CarPC

Comment

diagram belows shows a second relay which will do the same that KB5WID was talking about.

This diagram shows the first relay which will normally have +12v coming out of (87A) and going to the second relay.

The +12v wire connected to the first relay would actually be the accessory or ignition wire you are using. when the car is turned on, the relay sends +12v to 30 (which is not connected to anything). Then, as the car is turned off, and the 87A terminal gains power again, it sends power to the second relay.

That relay will in turn take that voltage, and make a momentary pulse from it. (You can make this pulse a negative or positive pulse).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask
        Attached Files

Comment

Why use a relay? Do you have very high current going through this? Wouldnt a MOSFET be simpler and more reliable?

Comment

This is not exactly what I was thinking.

Here is whe correct way.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	2268157
            If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
            I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
            The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
            Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

Comment

And wouldnt a simple LM555 do the trick...? Why bother with all that?

Comment

Originally posted by ldiamond View Post
                Why use a relay? Do you have very high current going through this? Wouldnt a MOSFET be simpler and more reliable?
                because i don't know what a MOSFET is.

because in a small town it's really hard to find parts to build one, not to mention that i wouldn't know where to start to build one.
                Scion CarPC

Comment

nserpa, kb5wid, thnx for the help i know what direction to head.
                  Scion CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by ldiamond View Post
                    i agree. and i'm not sure what your application is, but a relay is going to create a train of pulses, not one (due to the mechanical properties of the relay and contact bounce)

If you're interfacing a logic circuit, this would NOT be good.

Go 555 - cheaper, smaller, easy to use, and much more reliable
                    Eastern Voltage Research Corp.
                    http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com

Comment

well if anyone knows how to wire the 555 chip to fits my needs i would certanly look into it, because i'v been looking at diagrams online of the 555 and i have no idea how to even start wiring it.
                      Scion CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by KB5WID View Post
                        This is not exactly what I was thinking.

Here is whe correct way.
                        [ATTACH]46586[/ATTACH]
                        You are correct, you would want +12v constant at terminal 87 relay #1, not switched as i had shown originally
                        However,

A-This is an unnecessary connection. Connecting the same wire at 87 and 87a is not required, since it is a normally closed (NC) connection.

B-You would want the wire shown (pink that is coming out of 30 on relay #1) to go to 87a. If the OP (Injector) wanted a pulse when the car was turned on you would make the conection at 30, however, connecting the wire to 87A will send +12v back to the #2 relay when the #1 relay goes back to its NC position (when the car is shut down or the +12ACC wire connected to 86 on relay #1 loses power).
                        Attached Files

Comment

the way i was saying you would want to wire it (revised :-p) i re-drew below.

You never specified if you needed a negative or positive pulse.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nserpa9248 View Post
                            the way i was saying you would want to wire it (revised :-p) i re-drew below.

You never specified if you needed a negative or positive pulse.
                            i never specified it because it's not really going to be neither, its going to the the shutdown button push for my mobo, so on relay 2, 87 will be on side of the cable and 30 will be the other, so that when relay #2 gets power it will do a temporary button push.
                            Scion CarPC

Comment

I bet one of these would work:
                              [media]http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/TR-7.pdf[/media]
                              see option #6

Comment

Working...
                              X