Opus 320 Wiring nightmare!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 320 Wiring nightmare!!!!!!

I just recieved my OPUS 320 and I am so ****ed. The thing is almost bigger then the mother board its self!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now it no longer fits in the case unless I do major hacking......... I have a 2 PCI slot case, but I guess Im goinging to move the graphics card to the top, take out the USB card, so i have a gap, put the OPUS in the new gap, put the hard drive were the M2 use to be, mount new fans and just pray it fits.

Then I look at all the cables..... the M2 is way easier.... all the wires on the OPUS are the same color!!!!!!!!! Also there is a jumper setting for everything, even the start up and shut down voltage????????? I thought this was going to be a quick swap, but this is going to take me a few days to figure out. It is cool though that there wires for hooking up extra stuff.

My DVD player is powered through USB, but if I wanted to power it through the OPUS, I can right.... I think it runs on 5V. Also can I do the same with my 7 port HUBS, which now I will defiantally need since i have to take the usb card out to make room for the OPUS. If the hubs are powered though and the dvd rom is connected, it will take power from that right? So I wouldnt need to power the dvd rom on its own?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

*bump*

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Yea, that should basically work.
      Nothing wrong with a bit of trial and error though, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Un_discovered View Post
        Yea, that should basically work.
        Nothing wrong with a bit of trial and error though, eh?
        LoL, except if that error ends up frying everything.... I am soooooooooo cautious with electrical wiring....

The OPUS has 3 ground wires and 3 12V+ wires..... do they all get connected together? Like all the grounds connected together and all the 12V+ together? Why did they split them like that?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Are you sure they're all 12V?

According to the site...

Comment

Are you sure they're all 12V?

According to the site...
            Yes the way the OPUS is set up is it has 3 diffrent connectors.... for for the Mother Board. One for the molex connectors. Then another with amp, 12V+ out, etc.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Today I went home to see how many devices need to be powered by the OPUS 320. The DVD rom (5v), a 4 port USB hub (5v), another 4 port USB hub (5v), 2 flip down 9 inch LCDs (12v) and a 17 inch flip down (12v). Can the OPUS handle all of this? I was also thinking of taking the head unit (12v) off the radio harness of the car and also adding it to the OPUS, so everything shuts on and off as it should.

Has anyone else done something similar? The OPUS should be enough to handle all this right?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

You know, there are a LOT of FAQs on this stuff that would answer the question for you, with just a bit of research...

Voltage doesn't mean squat in regards to power draw, your concern is amperage.
                If your head unit is powering your speakers with it's own in-built amp, I wouldn't recommend powering it off the Opus.
                That said, I wouldn't recommend powering it off the Opus in either case.

You should set aside 1A (I think - can't quite remember, this is where research comes in ) for each USB port.

Comment

You know, there are a LOT of FAQs on this stuff that would answer the question for you, with just a bit of research...

Voltage doesn't mean squat in regards to power draw, your concern is amperage.
                  If your head unit is powering your speakers with it's own in-built amp, I wouldn't recommend powering it off the Opus.
                  That said, I wouldn't recommend powering it off the Opus in either case.

You should set aside 1A (I think - can't quite remember, this is where research comes in ) for each USB port.
                  Im sorry, I wasnt specific. When I say headunit, that means a K-90 motorized 7inch screen. My system is 100% PC based. The amps on the hubs is 2.6 amps, the 2 flip downs is 8 watts, but now ive decided to put those on the main power and keep the K-90 were it is, not the opus.... So it will only be the 2 hubs, xm adapter, and DVD rom. The OPUS should be more then powerfull enough......

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Well I got an email from OPUS, and here is there response:

Thank you for your interest in our product.

Please see our specs for maximum current ratings that all your devices will be using on 5V and 12V. Just add all the currents required for all devices to operate on 5V or 12V line separately to find out if they need more than the PS maximum current rating or not.

So in short thier saying connect the devices you want and if it doesnt work, then dont connect it and get a bigger PSU..... So I guess thats what im going to do!!!!!!!!!!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                      I just recieved my OPUS 320 and I am so ****ed. .........
                      Take a deep breath, calm down, and read the manual. I have one and I love it. Yes, it is larger than the Opus 150 I had but the 320 works just as reliable and powers everything and yes, the 12V and 5V wires work exactly as they should. And as far as the jumpers, mine were ok by default but I did have to change one to work on my test bench inside and then simply reset it before I put it back in the car. If you can change jumpers on a hard drive, you can do this just as easy.

Personally, I think Opus is the best; at least for me they have been.
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

IDK if you're still having a problem but... it's true, it's actually a simple setup. Just look at the manual. There are three 12 (actually 12-24v i believe) input wires and three ground wires and yes they are all the same color. Looks like they did this because, obviously, one little wire wouldn't handle the power needs of a 320w PSU so they seplit it inot three. And they couldn't use this nice clean 10 pin connector with 10 gauge cables on a single pin...

I just soldered all three together (3 power, 3 ground) and stuck the end into the proper distribution block in my trunk... easy. RMT 2 went up to power my xenarc, rmt 1 to turn on my amp... red (I think) to ign to tell the psu when to turn the computer on... as for jumpers, it's all self explanitory if you just stare at the manual for a bit...

Comment

Working...
                        X