Boot XP off Microdrive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot XP off Microdrive?

I have a magicstor 4 gig ata/ide microdrive and I was wondering if this would be ok to boot XP off of. I wanted to use a CF but I read that you can't boot xp off of flash memory. Is this true???
    "Who run Barter Town?"

No it's not true. Both microdrives and CF can be used to boot XP.

Last i checked microdrives were prety slow though.

Comment

How slow is slow? Slower than a regular disk type HDD?
      "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

The last time I checked 2gb microdrives were about 1-3rd to 1/2rd the speed of standard HDD (could be wrong) and about 1/4th the speed of the fastest CF.

Comment

Microdrives are really slow, even compared to old laptop drives. I use an 8Gb microdrive for the maps and music storage in my setup.
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I originally wanted to use a CF to boot off of but then I looked at the price. I thought that the Microdrive would be a decent substitute but I don't want something that slow. What about a USB flash drive? Has anyone tried that with XP?
            "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

USB flash drive requires bios support to boot.

Where as CF in an IDE adapter is supported by all PCs.

I'll be surprised if going the USB route saves you more than $10 over the CF card route when buying similar speed products.

As a rough guide i'd estimate drive speeds as follows:
              266x CF = 40 MB/sec
              150x CF = 25 MB/ec
              7200 RPM hdd 25 MB/sec
              5400 RPM hdd 18 MB/sec
              Microdive 10MB/sec

Speeds will vary between manufacturers so check before you buy anything.

Comment

I think I may have go with the normal style hdd. The speed of the CF would be great but my budget says no. How would a 10,000-15,000 rpm hdd compare to the 266 CF?
                "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

I've used USB flash storage...prior to the new UDMA CF drives it was the best, but the configuration issues aren't worth it compared to these new drives.
                  EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                  Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                  OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                  Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                  BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                  VoomPC 2

Comment

Will any CF card work as a HDD? I found this one here, thats a lot cheaper than the other ones I saw.
                    "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

you'll want a CF card that supports UDMA. you'll have to do some research on these forums for more details of compatibility and installation issues.
                      EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

How would a 10,000-15,000 rpm hdd compare to the 266 CF?
                        Prety close, but be aware high RPM HDDs consume more power than slower HDDs.

Will any CF card work as a HDD? I found this one here, thats a lot cheaper than the other ones I saw.
                        Yes I believe any card will work, but per the above for best/acceptable preformace you want one that supports UDMA mode.

That Adata one is prety slow. Adata's line is:
                        Speedy - slowest
                        Super - medium speed (80x)
                        Turbo - fastest (120x - 266x)

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I think I may just go the easy rout and stick with a regular disk type HDD. The CF sounds like it could be a lot faster/durable but this is my first carputer, and I don't want to get in over my head. :-P
                          "Who run Barter Town?"

Comment

Good choice.

I'd recomend installing your OS/applications on a small partition (2 or 4GB), and use the rest of the space partioined off as a drive for storing media. This is so if/when you make the swicth to CF for your OS, you should be able to simply clone the partition and be up and running again with minimal downtime.

Comment

My seagate st1 8GB drive has a sustained rate of 8MB/sec. I boot from hibernate from a litely trimed version (nlite) of XP-SP2 in 30sec. Not bad....my 2.5 seagate 100GB 5400rpm boots from hibernate in 25sec.

Comment

Working...
                              X