Car adapter for my USB HUBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car adapter for my USB HUBS

I recently bought a OPUS 320, and when I tried to connect it to my Hub, the hub emmited a bright light and quickly caught fire. I was really not happy, especially since the people at OPUS told me it was safe. I connected the hub to a 5v rail and figured it was safe, obviously I was wrong. So I decided to go a diffrent route, but cant seem to find the appropriate solution.

On my setup I have a cigarette lighter socket connected to the 12v on my PSU, this powers my GPS unit, which was made to plug into a cigarette socket. My plan was to buy a 3 port socket and connect it to the current port I have. So now I will have 3 ports, one for the GPS, one for a 5v adapter, and the 3rd for another 5v adapter for the DVD rom. problem is i can not seem to find a adapter that has the 2.6a (2600ma) requirement, do I need the full 2.6a or can it be under 2.6. Incase you wanted to know the hub is powering a Sierra aircard, belkin wi-fi, keyboard and touchscreen, my guess is the aircard and belkin are taking all the power, because i get a POWER EXCEEDED warning. Also I have another hub, which I have not connected yet, since i do not have all the equipment yet, that will have a bluetooth dongle, and 2 wireless transmitters for my wireless mice. I wont need to power that one right?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

It seem you fried your usb hub because you switched the polarity.

On any STANDARD USB port, it's made to provide 5 volts at 500mA = 2.5 watt each. Some laptops will power more (my Shuttle SFF provides less). From my understanding you are looking for a 12V to 5V converter that will provide 2.6A...correct? why don't you use the 5V from your PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan View Post
      It seem you fried your usb hub because you switched the polarity.

On any STANDARD USB port, it's made to provide 5 volts at 500mA = 2.5 watt each. Some laptops will power more (my Shuttle SFF provides less). From my understanding you are looking for a 12V to 5V converter that will provide 2.6A...correct? why don't you use the 5V from your PSU?
      That was using the 5v rail...... Ob the Belkins (hubs I fried) the wires looked the same..... I then bought Targus Hubs which come with a Y-cable, one USB plug is for data and power and the other is for extra power. I then put 4 female plugs and matched red with red and black with black. Turned on PC, problem solved.....

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

what color are the wires on opus did you hook up??

Comment

Originally posted by kickercivic1 View Post
          what color are the wires on opus did you hook up??
          Red to red, black to black.....

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
            I recently bought a OPUS 320, and when I tried to connect it to my Hub, the hub emmited a bright light and quickly caught fire.
            I just fried my USB hub last week too, ran out of ports on the PC so I got this cheap arse hub that says it can have 5V input but doesn't come with a power supply, hooked it up to OPUS 320W 5V, then the hub melted I am pretty sure I got the right polarity...

Comment

Originally posted by msun View Post
              I just fried my USB hub last week too, ran out of ports on the PC so I got this cheap arse hub that says it can have 5V input but doesn't come with a power supply, hooked it up to OPUS 320W 5V, then the hub melted I am pretty sure I got the right polarity...
              Im glad I am not the only one. I would pick up a Targus hub that uses the Y-cable. Then cut the red plug off, splice the red and black to the OPUS and y-cable. Worked fine for me, the targus is cheap too. http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=ACH63US

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

$29...
                I paid $12 for mine....

Comment

$29...
                  I paid $12 for mine....
                  when it comes to certain things, money is not object, lol...... did you buy yours during a sale? Maybe Targus is more expensive in Miami?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

It was some brand starts with a "V", and $12 is regular price.
                    But I went to Fry's yesterday and they have this 4 port USB 2.0 hub on sale with power adapter for $6, discounted from $20, got myself two of them.

Haven't tried it yet to see if Opus 320W would fried it too

Comment

buy a $10 digital multimeter...I'm sure you will continue to use it throughout your install. It's a good investment that you don't have to guess or assume.

Comment

It was some brand starts with a "V", and $12 is regular price.
                        But I went to Fry's yesterday and they have this 4 port USB 2.0 hub on sale with power adapter for $6, discounted from $20, got myself two of them.

Haven't tried it yet to see if Opus 320W would fried it too
                        lol, if it doesnt have a y adapter, I wouldnt chance it.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan View Post
                          buy a $10 digital multimeter...I'm sure you will continue to use it throughout your install. It's a good investment that you don't have to guess or assume.
                          Well I measure the 5V from Opus and it is 5.08V like it says on the USB hub, but still fried since I can't measure the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                            Im glad I am not the only one. I would pick up a Targus hub that uses the Y-cable. Then cut the red plug off, splice the red and black to the OPUS and y-cable. Worked fine for me, the targus is cheap too. http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=ACH63US
                            Yeah but how many amps can the hub draw through the Y-cable port? Seems that if it's using another USB port as its power source, it's only meant to draw 500ma.
                            My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Well turns out powering the hubs through the y cables was a bad idea, still does not get enough power........... Well my setup is so difficult so I decided to make it simple. Im getting rid of the targus hubs..... (60 dollars wasted)... and I just bought a 7 port hub. It will be powered by a cigarette lighter adapter and thats it.... im not fooling with things anymore....

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X