Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple questions for the experts (or just about anyone better than me lol)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions for the experts (or just about anyone better than me lol)

Hey guys

I have started on a system build and become quite obsessed with all of this im truly having fun with this build and hope to do more in the future ... unfortunately I just dont know enough about alot of the things i should to build an in car pc so i have a few questions, please answer if you can

I want to run a system that has:

bluetooth phone integration hopefully with an interface similar to the mototrola handsfree kit i currently have where I can say a number and it will dial it for me.

GPS software with voice navigation

The software that I can remote my car from my cell phone (name is at a loss right now for some reason)

I want to run Roadrunner Frontend and have a 250 GB hard drive to use for system operations though i plan on embedding the OS on a compact flash ... hence my choice of motherboard

Im planning on powering this with an M2-ATX power supply and have chosen the

VIA EPIA MII12000G for a motherboard ... is this a good choice or should I go a different route??

this will all being going behind my dash and I would like to hack a usb/firewire hub to put ports in my front dsah as well.

Thank you kindly for any suggestion/direction

Zach

Step 1: Install just a computer system and get it to work.

That should take awhile. Everything else comes afterwards. Take a look at the Intel little valley board. It is supposed to be faster than the MII12000
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

lol i understand you on that ... i plan on doing all of these one step at a time but just thought id lay out everything i eventually wanted to do so i could get some input on whetehr or not this motherboard can handle it

so is the little valley much better??? is the via slow??

Id honestly like to go with my best option as far as speed without bogging down the power supply (my sound system already uses 1500 watts on the stock alt)

Zach

Comment

wow ... just looked at the little valley .... its really cheap... and its faster??? sounds like a wining combo, but my main concern there are the heating issues ... i live in northwest louisiana (basically texas) and our humidity is HORRIBLE not to mention it is routinely over 100 in the summer time

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          Step 1: Install just a computer system and get it to work.

That should take awhile. Everything else comes afterwards. Take a look at the Intel little valley board. It is supposed to be faster than the MII12000
          I would recommend installing the OS and all the software at your desk before putting it in the car.

Start ans shutdown several times, make certain it does what you want on the desk before it goes in the car.

It is much easier to troubleshoot on the desk
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

absolutely ... i have a bench set up at one of my home computers dedicated to the testing of my car pc and making sure it is running good before it goes in

1. because i dont want to be constantly taking my dash apart

2. because although i love my car i simply dont want to spend that much time in it lol

Zach

Comment

Ok well Im now kind of getting the feeling that this is a budget motherboard .. Im not building a budget system ... whats the best motherboard out there for a quick boot time and stellar performance?? Id like to see 2 gigs of memory capable and perferably a mobo that is able to boot from CF

Please help

Thanks
              Zach

Comment

Working...
              X