Need Help with New Car PC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with New Car PC!

i'm relatively new to car pcs, however i feel i have a pretty good knowledge of conventional pcs. i just built a system, with the intel little valley mobo/cpu combo, using a laptop hard drive and dvd drive, mx-1 power supply, and ampie case. i'm trying to set it up in the house so i can install windows, drivers, etc. without having to freeze in the truck. i'm getting my 12 volt power from an atx computer power supply. so here's the problem: i'm getting no display on my monitor. the cpu fan is spinning, i'm getting power leds to come on, and the system fan is running and i'm getting light on my optical mouse. like i said, nothing on the monitor. it's just a crt that i know works. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. i don't know where to start!

RAM?

POST Beeps?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Ram: 1GB DDR2 DIMM PC2-4200

I hear no post beeps at all.

Comment

Sounds like the ATX PSU that you're using to power your system doesn't sup0ply enough juice on the 12v rail to power your vehicle PC.

What does the sticker on the side of the ATX PSU say for +12v output?
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Is the RAM unbuffered, non-ECC, and non-registered?
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

11.5 amps. it's a rather old supply.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              Is the RAM unbuffered, non-ECC, and non-registered?
              it's unbuffered, non-ecc. it's the ram from the mp3car store:
              http://store.mp3car.com/1GB_DDR2_DIM..._p/mem-002.htm

Comment

That should be more than sufficient to power any PC powered byt the M1ATX PSU.
                I'm assumign the PSU is an M1ATX, as I've never heard of the "mx-1" that you specify in your first post. If your PSU is something different, that's some pretty crucial information, so let us know.

So...
                You're using a Little Valley motherboard. I question whether an M1ATX is going to be able to power that motherboard.

Have you use the ATX PSU directly intot he motherboard to verify that the motherboard boots up and everything works correctly before hooking up the DC-DC PSU?

TOASTER: If the RAM was incorrect, the motherboard would likely give a beep code, which he's not getting.
                I'm thinking his PSU is underpowered for his hardware.
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

yeah i'm sorry it is the m1-atx. i should have double checked that model number before typing. but its indeed the m1atx. i purchased everything from the mp3car site with exception of the hard drive and optical drive. is there any way to tell if the power supply is enough or not? the specs on the little valley say's it requires less than 27 watts. so i just assumed the 90 watt m-1 would be plenty enough. is there any way to tell for sure?

Comment

Let me ask you this...
                    Did you purchase individual pieces/parts formt eh mp3car.com store or did you purchase a package deal?
                    If you bought a package deal, you would probably have gotten an M2ATX, as that has enough output for your motherboard.
                    If nothing else, the M1ATX does not have the 4-pin 12v power connector that this board requires. The M2ATX does.

I suggest reading through the FAQs about power supplies. There is more to a power sup0ply that simply wattage output. An ATX PSU outputs three different voltages that the motherboard requires (12v, 5v & 3.3v). The M1ATX total output may be more than the requirement for that motherboard, but the 12v requirement is, I'm certain, nowhere near enough.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

i did purchase the components separately. and that was it. the 4 pin connector. i cannot believe i overlooked this. i currently have it up and running now with the atx desktop power supply that has the 4 pin connector. if i were to clip that connector off of the old power supply, then splice it into the m1's 12 volt rail, would i be able to get by with that, so that i don't have to purchase an m2?

Comment

I really don't think that will work.

This is where I point out that you should have read the FAQs to prevent purchasing something useless.

As an aside, I believe the mp3car.com store should have salespeople or consultants that could spot situations like this to prevent people purchasing incompatible hardware like you did.
                        That said, they are pretty good about returns.
                        Shoot them an email now and give them a call on Monday.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by bgreen02 View Post
                          if i were to clip that connector off of the old power supply, then splice it into the m1's 12 volt rail, would i be able to get by with that?
                          Yes, that will work. I've done it.
                          AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                          "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

yeah i tried it and it worked fine. i researched it and it said the 4 pin connector is just 12 volts and ground, so naturally wiring in parallel somewhere in the 12 volt rail will get the motherboard the power it needs. so its up and runnin and ready to finally go into the truck.

Comment

Working...
                            X