How does IRQ work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does IRQ work?

I have been battling this issue with my graphics card and USB card on the same riser. When I search the forums i see alot about IRQ and I did notice a ton of those setting on my VIA M10000. I am not sure what they do or how to adjust them. I have done everything to try to eliminate the lag on both cards. Although I have ordered the special riser card to handle highbandwith I am very scepticle about it actually working. I think maybe my answers lay in learning what IRQ does. Obviously there is a issue between the 2 cards, because sometimes when using my handheld mouse, it stutters when doing graphic stuff. I know alot of people have added and or upgraded thier cards and im curious to know how you guys got over this issue.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

IRQ is short for interrupt request.
    Basically it's used when communication to a device that uses an IRQ is needed. The software interrupts other processes to communicate with the device. It's a throwback to old hardware and systems that were slow to allow communication with hardware from the OS or an application when systems were far slower.
    Basically the OS or app would stop, communicate with the device, and resume when the communications were done. This ensured the communication was correct & complete before resuming.

IRQs used to be relegated only to a decive or card slot, but Windows 95 changed all that. IRQs can now be shared between devices. Personally, I loathe IRQ sharing, but now it really can't be prevented.

In your case w/ the video and the mouse, it's very likely that they are sharing an IRQ. You should be able to check the properties of each device to see what IRQ i assigned to that device.

I'm not the expert about how all this works. There are far better resources for learning about IRQs out there.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok, I just recieved the riser card (love UPS). I am not sure about some things, so I'll type out the letter:

A. Introduction:

PCI 201-32 is a Riser Card which changes the PCI card insert direction from verticle to horizontal. In order to install the PCI 201-32 on your system board, you need to configure the mini-jumpers on the PCI 201-32 by following the procedures in the next section. For your convience, a device number scanning software is provided as a tool for setting up the mini-jumpers and once the installation is done, PCI 201-32 could be treated as a part of your system board. Which means you dont have to reinstall or reconfigure the PCI 201-32 while you are operating the system.
      In our lab testing, PCI 201-32 with full loading (Two Etherner LAN cards loaded in all slots) performs very well and stable at maximum speed.

B. Installation Procedures:

1. Scanning the First Device Number
      Step 1. Power-off system board.
      Step 2. Connect a PCI peripheral card into the first slot of PCI 201-32. The first slot is the one next to the PCI 201-32 card's golden finger.
      Step 3. Plug the above prepared PCI 201.32 card into the system board.
      Step 4. Power on the system board and enter into DOS mode. Using a DOS system disk in drive A is strongly recommended.
      Step 5. In DOS prompt, execute the scanning software(PCI.EXE). The first slot's device number (DN#1) and other PCI devices' DNs will be shown on screen. Keep the Dns' for procedding to th following steps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question: How do i boot into DOS mode without a floppy drive?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Mapping the Second Device Numbers

Step 6. Power off system board.
      Step 7. Connect another PCI peripheral card into the second slot of PCI 201-32. The second slot is the one next to the first slot (DUH). Note that the mini-jumper for slot 2 is in mini-jumper 1.
      Step 8. Power on system board again. Should you find nothing appearing on screen after booting up your system in normal start up time, it could be the DN conflicting. Please turn off the power and rest the mini-jumper to the next position, and power on again. Suppose the mini-jumper is set to A, you could try to reposition it at B. If B doesnt work, try position C and so forth until the DOS prompt is shown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question: So does that mean I keep what ever disk in the drive?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 9. Execute the scanning software adain, the second DN (DN#2) will be listed on screen. Suppose the mini-jumper is set at position A, and the DN#2 detected by the scanning software is 2, which tells A=2.

Question: I dont understan what they mean, can someone clarify?

3. Setting the Second Mini-jumper
      Step 10. Power off system board and unplug PCI 201.32 from system board.
      Step 11. Here is were i get completely lost.
      The rule for setting mini-jumper 1 is:
      Suppose that DN#1=X,
      DN#2 should be any number chosen of X-1, X-5, X-9, X+3, X+7, X+11
      But, please note that DN#2 cannot be set to those numbers already been occupied by other PCI devices.
      Please place your mini-jumper at the proper position.
      For example, say DN#1=9 and 0,7,8 are occupied, then DN#2 could be 4 and 12.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question: I dont understand what any of that means, please put into noobie terms!
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 12. Re-plug PCI 201-32 back to system board and done.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Many motherboards will let you reassign default IRQs to certain devices in the BIOS. Windows may overwrite this but since you are tooling around in DOS it is worth mentioning.
        2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
        [----------] 100%
        Purchasing:
        [----------] 90%
        Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
        [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by galvitron View Post
          Many motherboards will let you reassign default IRQs to certain devices in the BIOS. Windows may overwrite this but since you are tooling around in DOS it is worth mentioning.
          Is that basically what the PCI 201-32 card is doing is assigning IRQ?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I am not sure. You can try fiddling around with them in the BIOS but write down what they are initially so you can revert back.
            2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
            [----------] 100%
            Purchasing:
            [----------] 90%
            Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
            [----------] 90%

Comment

Working...
            X