Old sound card....ARRRRRRRRGH!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old sound card....ARRRRRRRRGH!

OK, this is a long shot, but here we go...

I have an old Chaintech AV512-A sound card which will do 5.1 channel audio. I have had this card in a pile of other hardware for years, and I have no idea where I got it from. The card does work and I did find drivers for it that make XP happy, but without the software it came with (mixer), I have no way of making it output anything more than 2 channel audio. Does anyone here have this card, or more specifically the software for it?

My other option for multi channel audio is an even older Ensoniq AudioPCI which does 4 channel audio. I bought this card new many many moons ago. Again, I have drivers for this card but not the mixer software so I am in the same boat as the above card. Does anyone have the software for this card?

OR, if I am just being a total moron (very possible) and there is some option on Windows that I am missing to get these cards to work in multi channel mode, let me know...

Thanks for any help everyone. I guess I should stop being such a cheap son of a gun and just buy a newer sound card...

Go to Control Pannel.
    Click Sounds and Audio Devices.
    Under Speaker Setting click the Advanced button.
    Under Speaker setup select the type you want (5.1 etc).

Comment

Tried that, it didn't seem to make any difference on either card. I still only had stereo adjustments and no output from the other jacks (for rear and sub). Thanks though!

Comment

Were you playing a 5.1 source or 2 channel?

Comment

OMG, I didn't even think about that. I have a semi-standing rule for myself. I don't do anything technical after 9:00 PM because my brain turns to jello. This is a prime example of that. I'll try it out and let you know.

Comment

yes try in winamp etc, setting it to directsound
            , otherwise it can fallback to using waveout.dll which is two channel. (like the bloody silabs dll does on my radio)
            Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Working...
            X