Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesyed in USB 3G HSDPA Modem with external antenna?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesyed in USB 3G HSDPA Modem with external antenna?

Just to check if there would be people interested in an external USB 3G modem.

Basically, it would be a device, about the size of a matchbox, that connects via USB with your carpc. It does 3G Mobile internet connections up to 7.2 Mbit, which means REAL mobile broadband.
    On the other side of the box is an MCA connector which you connect to the included external magnetic antenna (or any other external GSM antenna) for better connectivity in areas with bad reception.

Put in a sim card, install the software, connect and you're connected to the internet at broadband speed!

So, would you be interested in such a device?

Let me know by the poll!

Joachim

Edit: some info came in, pricing would be around 190 euro, magnetic antenna with 2 meters of cable included.
    Yes, I would be interested!
    81.25%
    No, wifi / grps-edge / no internet is ok!
    12.50%
    What are you talking about?
    6.25%
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Aw, that doesn't look good...

Guess nobody's interested or this thread got overlooked?

Joa
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Didn't give it much time.

I missed it, however 3G and T-Mobile are doing similar units (admittedly without the ext aeriel connection) for free if you sign up for 18/24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
        Didn't give it much time.

I missed it, however 3G and T-Mobile are doing similar units (admittedly without the ext aeriel connection) for free if you sign up for 18/24 months.
        I quietly hoped herds of people would flood this thread crying out their desire to own a modem like that

The real difference is the external antenna indeed. The free modems aren't available everywhere either, so that might be of influence too.

The external antenna really makes a big difference, even compared with a modem on my passenger seat, let alone if you want to tuck it away somewhere behind the dash or inside the carpc case...

Thanks for your input!

Joachim
        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Hi Joachim, also try to post it in Wireless communications section...

Comment

Originally posted by stric View Post
            Good idea, I will, thanks!

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
            As a matter of interest, what sort of price were you looking to retail these at?
            Price would be about 190 euro, antenna included.
            XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

...And maybe someplace like dslreports.com to get an even wider viewing audience.

As an aside I use a Franklin CDU-680 from Millencom.com for my home internet connection. The modem is "free" (as in I can use it but can't keep it) without a contract and has an external antenna jack but doesn't come with an antenna.

Todd

Comment

It would be nice if this could be used for any service At&t, verizon, sprint. Whatever 1 usb car for them all. Just a thought, I dont know how possible it is.
                My Worklog
                I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

I would be interested if the device behaves properly and is not a pain in the neck that my Huawei E220 has been (delaying computer sleep, waking up the computer every now and then, not able to handle the border crossing with switch from one network to another etc. etc.)

The indicated price is quite ok.

Comment

I'm new sorry, what exactly does this do? Is it like a touch screen dvd player/computer with broadband internet for your car?

isn't that a laptop :P

Are you selling this or are you like a creator of the product?

Comment

It is wireless WAN modem for your PC (CarPC) or laptop. It connects via USB and supports (I assume) GPRS, UMTS, HSxPA (7.2 Mbit). You need a SIM card from your operator.

Comment

Originally posted by moboman View Post
                        It would be nice if this could be used for any service At&t, verizon, sprint. Whatever 1 usb car for them all. Just a thought, I dont know how possible it is.
                        That would require multiple sim cards, and there is only one slot. Don't think there is a solution for that.

Originally posted by Jirka Jirout View Post
                        I would be interested if the device behaves properly and is not a pain in the neck that my Huawei E220 has been (delaying computer sleep, waking up the computer every now and then, not able to handle the border crossing with switch from one network to another etc. etc.)

The indicated price is quite ok.
                        From Huawei, I only tested the PCMCIA version and there were some stability issues with them.
                        Haven't had any issues with the model we're testing right now!

Originally posted by shogunrua1 View Post
                        I'm new sorry, what exactly does this do? Is it like a touch screen dvd player/computer with broadband internet for your car?

isn't that a laptop :P

Are you selling this or are you like a creator of the product?
                        What you describe isn't a laptop, it's a carpc

We will import them and have them changed (equipped with the external antenna).

It is wireless WAN modem for your PC (CarPC) or laptop. It connects via USB and supports (I assume) GPRS, UMTS, HSxPA (7.2 Mbit). You need a SIM card from your operator.
                        You are 100% correct, and it supports GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSxPA with speeds up to 7.2 Mbit indeed.

Joachim
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

For me, I think it's better to just thether my EVDO phone via BT. I don't have to pay for an additional plan for something I already have. My speeds over BT are roughly 1.3Mbit down using Sprint in the SF Bay Area (and may get faster when Rev A is rolled out). The only thing this would do for me is so that I can use my data and phone at the same time. But as it is, when I get a call it just pauses my data and resumes after I finish. With the going rates for a data only plan in the $40-60/mo range, it seems pretty pricey for that small convenience.

Comment

i could sure use a modem with external antenna
                            Blessed are the "cracked" for it is they who let in the light.

Comment

Working...
                            X