Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core 2 Duo Confusion... Socket M/Socket P/Socket 479m for Jetway J9F2???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duo Confusion... Socket M/Socket P/Socket 479m for Jetway J9F2???

Alright, I let 2007 roll by without even looking at processors much. Well what d'ya know, they changed a bit and I feel like a n00b again.

To get straight to question, go to the bold at the end.

I am putting a Jetway J9F2 in replace of my current Commell LV-670m (For sale btw). It takes a Core 2 Duo, Core Duo, Core Solo, or Celeron M chip according to the book.

Well I ordered what I thought was a T7600 but now that I look back the title says T7600 and the image you can read T5500 on the CPU. I will get a refund if this doesnt work and so far it hasnt...

The confusion comes from the good ol' socket 479. I understand the old difference between 479 and 478 and even explained it before. But now I am stumped on what 479m is that Jetway says this board can support... From what I gather Intel made the Merom core which are 479 and called Socket M. Then last year they made it still 479 but Socket P, and Socket P doesnt work in Socket M. So there are T5500 and the like floating around in 2 very different socket types? I cannot seem to find what this Jetway board actually takes. I cant find any CPUs locally either because they are laptop ones and everyone only has desktop versions. If you know of a big-box store that has it let me know!

I have read some places it takes the Socket M, and other places it takes the Socket P. And I have also read that Socket M and Socket P are not interchangeable, so someone somewhere is lying, and I cant make heads or tails of it. Only other C2D processor I have is in my laptop, and I was seriously considering ripping it out to try, but it is probably the only thing I own that still has a warranty!

I put in my T5500 SL9U4 (Which wikipedia tells me is Socket M) into the mobo, and start it up. The mobo lights up with 2 leds and nothing. No POST beeps or anything. So this tells me it is either the mobo or the cpu and I have no way of eliminating the possibilities because I have no other mobo with this socket, or any other cpu to fit in this socket. So I am taking a 50/50 gamble it is the CPU, but at this point I dunno and it is a good paperweight.

So to sum up, what does the Jetway J9F2 take for a CPU? Socket M or Socket P?

And what does Socket 479m refer to? Socket M or Socket P or both?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Board specs

It supports socket m. Also note it supports core solo/duo chips which unlike t5500's only came in socket m. And you already know that socket m and socket p are not compatible. Anyhow, you should be fine with that chip as long as it's socket m. I would bet it's the mobo. Beeps at least indicate that the board is doing its job.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperZulu View Post
      Board specs

It supports socket m. Also note it supports core solo/duo chips which unlike t5500's only came in socket m. And you already know that socket m and socket p are not compatible. Anyhow, you should be fine with that chip as long as it's socket m. I would bet it's the mobo. Beeps at least indicate that the board is doing its job.
      Ok, that is what I thought, at first.

So it looks like I have either a dead mobo or dead cpu... I get no beeps, no POST, no monitor waking. So I am back at the 50/50 shot of is it the mobo or the cpu...

I might just get a Core Duo chip this time to be absolutely certain. I read there are only marginal gains with the Core 2 Duos anyway but the price is certainly different!
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I have a T2400 on my laptop and it's pretty speedy. I think you will generally only see a difference if you go for a chip running at 1066 fsb since all the other system peripherals can run faster. I have a 6600 at work and it's definitely noticeably faster while running cpu intensive apps, but it's not worth the price or power difference, in my opinion.

Comment

Well I do use CPU intensive applications, but I run the same ones on my P4 3.0Ghz desktop as on my C2D T7600 in my laptop and I can stand both. The P4 is slower, but not so much as I care.

That is why I have a P4M in my car now. The newer chip is for better power consumption and just to say I can really. I am pushing the M2 to the limits with the P4, so the newer chip should help that.

I am ordering a T2050 tomorrow I hope. Plenty fast for the car and cheap.

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind, now I'm confused too...
            2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
            [----------] 100%
            Purchasing:
            [----------] 90%
            Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
            [----------] 90%

Comment

Working...
            X