mounting case/hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting case/hard drive

i havehad my car pc installed for about a year with generally fantastic results.

however it hink my hard drive is finally giving up, other day is was moaning boot disk falior and also said there was coruption, i tock it out did defrag/clean up an fe wother bits and its working ok again although the start up and hybernation screen has a black line goign through it.

its a fujitsu 40gb hard drive, anyone recomand a better make?

currently its firmly fixed to its plastic case, i have mad an ali case in hopee of better cooling with no exterior fans, and i have some rubber mounting things for the hard drive, which are basically little blocks of rubber with M3 threads coming out each side. would these help?

presumably its vibrations which damage HDD not movment?

my current case is just got a big zip tie holding it in but i would like to bolt or again use rubber mounts for the next one.

any input would be appretiated!

Ralph

I'd do some research about mounting your hdd as there's a ton of threads out there where people have tried a number of things with not so great results.

The best proven mounting method is to firmly mount the HDD. If you're having issues, I'd reconsider your install because I've had a full size drive in my car for a while now and have never had a single issue. I've have a PC in my car for 4 years now and have yet to have a HDD fail on me.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

it's not the brand of hard drive that makes it prone to early failure in a car, it's the type of hard drive. ANY mechanical HDD, regardless of brand, will fail early when subjected to the harsh extrememes of the in-car environment. some people get lucky and they lasts for a few years, others fail in under a year. every HDD is unique, you could have the same model as someone else but have yours fail early.

you can simply keep replacing the HDD every time it fails, or get a small solid state drive (large capacity SSDs are still too expensive) as your main hard drive and get a cheap laptop drive for all your MP3's, videos, etc. that way if that HDD fails after a year, you don't have to reinstall everything all over again, just restore your media files.

if you can get one big enough for your needs then you could also consider a high capacity CF card for all your media files. then you could have an all solid-state system and never worry about the HDD failing from vibrations.

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

ComputerGeek, you spot on about having a solid state drive just for the OS, thing is i herd they dont last all that long as they have a limited read/right cycles???

i think my biggest problem is its a light car with fairly stiff suspension, so everything in it gets bit of a beating.

i will remount it int he new case as i said and just buy a new drive an see how it goes, cant afford solid state yet to many other projects on!

Ralph

Comment

yes they have limited write cycles, but it's a lot more than you might think. when flash-based SSDs first came out more than 10 years ago they had a relatively short life span, but the technology has come quite a long way since then...

a good/modern SSD will have a life span between 1 million and 1.5 million write cycles (cheap/old SSDs can be much lower). lets assume you buy one with a 1 million write cycle rating. at a sustained rate of 40MB/s it would take over 3 full years of non-stop writing to kill the disk! since your carPC is only running for a couple hours a day (if even that much) you can expect an SSD to last much, much longer (at least 10 years under normal use). even a cheap/older SSD with a ~500,000 write cycle rating should still give you a good 5 or so years of reliable service

also, don't confuse an SSD with flash cards, like CF or SD cards as those have much lower write cycle ratings and are not designed for use as a permanent drive. SSDs on the other hand ARE designed as a direct replacement for a HDD. aside from havinf higher write cycle ratings, they have built-in wear-leveling which spreads writes all over the drive. (it prevents excessive writing to specific "blocks" to keep them from failing early).

yes they are still expensive when compared to mechanical HDDs, but that doesn't make them unaffordable. large capacity SSDs are still very expensive, which is why I suggested you use ot just for the OS and programs, and use a regular HDD or CF card for media files. small SSDs are affordable, you can get a 4GB-8GB SSD for around $100. (eBay ) you're probably going to spend at least $50-$60 on a new HDD anyways which will probably die in another year or two (as you describe it, your car gives it quite a beating) so think of it as an investment rather then an expense.

good luck with your new drive
          F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

I use the 200gb western digital 3.5 sata 7200rpm hdd and had no problems, going on 4 years. My car is slammed to the ground. I have 20'' wheels with 35 series profile. I have two arc audio 12'' in the trunk pushed by arc audio fd-1200.1 amp which put out alot of db. it a pretty ruff ride in the city. like I said I have no problems. that drive cost me $115.00 then, now they are $50.00
            https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

well im over in the UK so probly pay more for pc parts, also you probably have not seen cars like mine, it weights less than a tonne, and i have fitted 550LBS/inch springs to it.

bigger wheels will smooth the ride because they will not go so far in to holes, i am on 13's!

well thinkign about it im going to hope my drive lives for another few months and get a solid state one. would still have a 2.5inch drive for music etc.

how ahve you guys fitted your HHD's to the case and the case to the car??

cheers
              Ralph

Comment

cheapest i can find one is 140 on linitx.com for a 8gig SSD drive.

anyone have any linsk to ones on ebay?

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphh85 View Post
                  well im over in the UK so probly pay more for pc parts, also you probably have not seen cars like mine, it weights less than a tonne, and i have fitted 550LBS/inch springs to it.

bigger wheels will smooth the ride because they will not go so far in to holes, i am on 13's!

well thinkign about it im going to hope my drive lives for another few months and get a solid state one. would still have a 2.5inch drive for music etc.

how ahve you guys fitted your HHD's to the case and the case to the car??

cheers
                  Ralph

Mine is mounted inside an aluminum case on rubber bushing suspension inside the trunk.
                  https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

I don't know how good of a solution this will be, but I went to Home Depot, bought some soft foam weatherstripping, and lined the edge of the base of the case with the stuff. Acts as a nice vibration absorber, since my case is just under the passenger seat on the ground. You could try that...

Comment

Working...
                    X