Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So touchscreen? does it need to be .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So touchscreen? does it need to be .....

hi everyone,

i habe been serching everywhere and i find 100's of threds about touch screens and i still have a few questions and i need a decent simple answer please?

i am building a car computer, and i need to fit a touchscreen in order to operate the mouse.

so the screen i need to buy...

1, i take it that it must have a VGA port in order to display the computer on the screen?

2, will that be all the screen needs, or does it also have to have a usb port so that the computer and screen work togther?

sorry if this hase been asked over and over, but i cant seam to find decent information on what the screen needs to have

thankyou so much in advance for you help

Originally posted by carvolution View Post
    hi everyone,

i habe been serching everywhere and i find 100's of threds about touch screens and i still have a few questions and i need a decent simple answer please?
    OK.

i am building a car computer, and i need to fit a touchscreen in order to operate the mouse.
    No, you don't.
    However, a touchscreen is the most convenient method of controlling the PC.

1, i take it that it must have a VGA port in order to display the computer on the screen?
    No, but that's preferred. If your PC can output composite video or s-video this could be used as a display connection as well.
    however, PCs don't display clearly through a composite or s-video connection.

2, will that be all the screen needs, or does it also have to have a usb port so that the computer and screen work togther?
    A touchscreen you describe will have a USB connection for the PC. That would be the touchscreen control.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

thanks for your quick reply.

so these sceens that are found on certain auction websites from china that have vga on the back will be fine for displaying, but is theere anything special i need to look out for the usb side of it?
      i know this is a stupid thing to ask but i have seen some screens that have usb on the front of the units, but i am guessing that this is no good as that would be the input for playing mp3's etc?

Comment

Give us a link to check out.

Caution against buying from China. If the screen is dead when it arrives or if there are dead pixels, it won't be worth the cost to ship it back and customer service is VERY hard to manage.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I think you're confusing a screen with a DVD headunit that can read a USB memory stick.
          The DVD headunit has only composite (RCA) input that I referred to earlier and the touchscreen will no interface w/ the PC.

If you're confused about what you need, I would look at the offerings at the mp3car.com or Logic Supply or Digital WorldWide and look at their specs to see what you need in a touchscreen.
          While ordering from any of these companies is a good thing and recommended (they are all reputable sellers that stand behind their products), it's by no means required. You can use the secs they list for various models as a comparison to another unit you're looking at frm a vendor in China or an EBay seller or something else.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

A quick review of how touchscreens work. First, there are two elements to a touchscreen. The screen itself and the touch panel. They are separate. You can buy screens without a touch panel, you can buy touch panels without the screen, and you can buy a screen and a touch panel together. If a screen doesn't say it has a touch panel, it almost certainly doesn't.

There are two common types of screens; Video and VGA. A video screen accepts video input, most often using the RCA type composite signal. This is the type of signal you get from a DVD player, a camcorder, a VCR. It is a SINGLE plug that carries the video signal. There are other types of inputs, but most inexpensive screens you buy take the COMPOSITE VIDEO input. YOU DON'T WANT THIS TYPE OF SCREEN FOR YOUR CAR PC.

The second type of screen is usually more expensive and takes VGA input. This is the one you want. A few will take DVI in, but they cost more.

Why? See for yourself in this thread. They types of connections are explained in Darque's thread here.

Touch panels are a pane of glass with a special film on them that senses touch. There are other ways to do this than a film, but the most common and most inexpensive use the film. Recent touch panels almost always connect using a USB connector. Older ones connect using a serial port. Either way, they work the same. In fact, you can connect a touch panel without putting it over the screen and it will work pretty much like a big trackpad. It's a totally separate device. What makes it special is that you can calibrate it to positions on the screen if you put it directly on top of the screen and use the calibration software it comes with.

Touch screens install a driver and come with the calibration software. Then you just plug them in and when you touch the screen, the cursor arrow jumps to where you touched. If it is a button, that button gets clicked. Simple.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
              A quick review of how touchscreens work. First, there are two elements to a touchscreen. The screen itself and the touch panel. They are separate. You can buy screens without a touch panel, you can buy touch panels without the screen, and you can buy a screen and a touch panel together. If a screen doesn't say it has a touch panel, it almost certainly doesn't.

There are two common types of screens; Video and VGA. A video screen accepts video input, most often using the RCA type composite signal. This is the type of signal you get from a DVD player, a camcorder, a VCR. It is a SINGLE plug that carries the video signal. There are other types of inputs, but most inexpensive screens you buy take the COMPOSITE VIDEO input. YOU DON'T WANT THIS TYPE OF SCREEN FOR YOUR CAR PC.

The second type of screen is usually more expensive and takes VGA input. This is the one you want. A few will take DVI in, but they cost more.

Why? See for yourself in this thread. They types of connections are explained in Darque's thread here.

Touch panels are a pane of glass with a special film on them that senses touch. There are other ways to do this than a film, but the most common and most inexpensive use the film. Recent touch panels almost always connect using a USB connector. Older ones connect using a serial port. Either way, they work the same. In fact, you can connect a touch panel without putting it over the screen and it will work pretty much like a big trackpad. It's a totally separate device. What makes it special is that you can calibrate it to positions on the screen if you put it directly on top of the screen and use the calibration software it comes with.

Touch screens install a driver and come with the calibration software. Then you just plug them in and when you touch the screen, the cursor arrow jumps to where you touched. If it is a button, that button gets clicked. Simple.
              Wow...Darque and BugByte, you have such...patience! What ever happened to that "Search!" icon or good 'ole noob bashing?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Dude's confused. There really isn't a good FAQ that explains the difference. I probably should post one up.
                Want to:

Comment

Working...
                X