Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slim USB DVD mounting problems

Hey all,

I have a slim DVD drive on this drive to USB adapter.

The drive is mounted approximately 10 feet from the computer, and connected directly to a working USB 2.0 PCI card on the computer (I know the card is working because all of my other peripherals are connected through the same card). The drive is powered by a 12V to 5V regulated DC power supply connected to 12V bus of the computer's DS-ATX power supply.

Here's the problem...the drive will repeatedly attempt to spin up and mount any disc inserted, but almost always fails to do so. Usually, the drive sounds like it _almost_ spins up completely, but then stops spinning and begins the cycle over again. If a CD is in the drive on reboot, the drive NEVER spins up successfully. If there is no CD in the drive, and one is inserted while the computer is booted, then the drive will recognize and mount the disc most of the time. When the drive does mount successfully, it works well.

What gives? Should I:
    • just try using a different drive to USB adapter?
    • reinitialize the device somehow?
    • try a different drive?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

its probably too far from the computer, i would say anything more than a 6ft usb extension and you will probably have issues. Try moving it closer.

Comment

Originally posted by tacobandit View Post
      its probably too far from the computer, i would say anything more than a 6ft usb extension and you will probably have issues. Try moving it closer.
      What about plugging it into a powered hub? Think that would help?

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
        Hey all,

I have a slim DVD drive on this drive to USB adapter.

The drive is mounted approximately 10 feet from the computer, and connected directly to a working USB 2.0 PCI card on the computer (I know the card is working because all of my other peripherals are connected through the same card). The drive is powered by a 12V to 5V regulated DC power supply connected to 12V bus of the computer's DS-ATX power supply.

Here's the problem...the drive will repeatedly attempt to spin up and mount any disc inserted, but almost always fails to do so. Usually, the drive sounds like it _almost_ spins up completely, but then stops spinning and begins the cycle over again. If a CD is in the drive on reboot, the drive NEVER spins up successfully. If there is no CD in the drive, and one is inserted while the computer is booted, then the drive will recognize and mount the disc most of the time. When the drive does mount successfully, it works well.

What gives? Should I:
        • just try using a different drive to USB adapter?
        • reinitialize the device somehow?
        • try a different drive?
        Try using an external power source to see if that makes a difference. The symptoms described sound like too much current being drawn when disc starts up.
        ~Jimmy

Comment

yeah, def sounds like a power issue, just cause other periferals work fine, they may be fine with just the 500ma that a usb port provides, but if your dvd drive is a burner too then it most definatley needs more power, what your discribing sounds this way, just add a 5v feed to it & you should be fine...
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I have this problem on any hub, powered or otherwise. It only works direct off the mobo usb.

I am just this minute cutting the USB plug off the power lead and wiring directly to the 5v from the psu. Should solve it.
            usually found at digital-car

Comment

There you go. The slim DVD drives that say they are USB powered never are. I haven't seen one yet that didn't have to have some sort of external power.

Comment

The drive is already powered externally (mentioned in the original post above) supplied from the computer's 5V rail, but perhaps the voltage drop over the 10 feet or so of wire leading from the computer to the drive means that the drive is seeing somewhat less than 5V due to resistance (although I used 18 gauge wire, so there really shouldn't be too much loss).

Comment

oops, missed that part

I'd confirm power with a meter, have you tried the drive in another computer? shh, now I had to run back up to the top of the thread to make sure you didn't mention that

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
                    The drive is already powered externally (mentioned in the original post above) supplied from the computer's 5V rail, but perhaps the voltage drop over the 10 feet or so of wire leading from the computer to the drive means that the drive is seeing somewhat less than 5V due to resistance (although I used 18 gauge wire, so there really shouldn't be too much loss).
                    I saw that part but you mentioned a regulator and some other devices on it, so power problem is still the first thing to suspect. These things need more than 1 Amp to work. Mine came with a 2A wall wart.
                    ~Jimmy

Comment

yeah, confirm with a meter or try adding known good power or try it on another computer off the wall supply, it has to be power, this is common & can happen with external hardrives too, repeated attempts may get it to spin up on occasion, but it needs more juice to really work

Comment

I have the same setup and had the same problem.

You need to power: 1) the hub that your DVD ROM drive is connected to and 2) connect two USB cables to the USB hub... one for data/power and one for power. (that is.. i'm assuming you got the USB caddy from mp3car.com, where you are supplied with a USB->coaxial power cable)

This solved my problem. Your drive just needs alot of power, if it's still not working, unplug some stuff from your powered USB hub. I actually have two powered USB hubs behind my dash now, because the drive takes so much power.
                        2008 Mustang GT CarPC

Comment

I had the same issue also. Most external CDROM enclousers have a abilty to use a power adapter. I fixed mine by not using the drive remotely and coming off the IDE, cant go wrong with that!!!!. My setup allows this though since the PC is mounted to the back seat. With people with remote PCs, then it will be an issue. On a similar issue with power though, I have alot of USB devices and when I would plug some in, others would stop working, it was very annoying. I tried the y-cable route and it did not work. Finally what I did is I bought a 7 port hub from tigerdirect, plugged that onto a onboard port on the PC, then plugged 5 items into the hub, on port 6 and 7 I plugged in a 4 port hub with a ycable and the hub is powered via a cigerette lighter adapter. I have no issues at all anymore and have extra ports for more items.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                            I had the same issue also. Most external CDROM enclousers have a abilty to use a power adapter. I fixed mine by not using the drive remotely and coming off the IDE, cant go wrong with that!!!!. My setup allows this though since the PC is mounted to the back seat. With people with remote PCs, then it will be an issue. On a similar issue with power though, I have alot of USB devices and when I would plug some in, others would stop working, it was very annoying. I tried the y-cable route and it did not work. Finally what I did is I bought a 7 port hub from tigerdirect, plugged that onto a onboard port on the PC, then plugged 5 items into the hub, on port 6 and 7 I plugged in a 4 port hub with a ycable and the hub is powered via a cigerette lighter adapter. I have no issues at all anymore and have extra ports for more items.
                            I have a similar configuration. I have one seven port hub plugged into the motherboard in the trunk, and a second seven port hub in the center console storage area plugged into the first hub. The DVD drive is directly connected to the motherboard via a 10 foot cable. I haven't tried directly powering either hub and then plugging the drive into a powered hub...maybe I'll power the center console hub and then plug the drive into that. My touchscreen (plugged into the center console hub) does very occasionally disconnect unexpectedly...so maybe it's a power issue after all.

Thanks for the advice...

Comment

Once it has power, your drive will work perfectly.
                              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X