Flip Up screens for DIY project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip Up screens for DIY project

I am looking into putting a flip-up screen into my Mazda3, and run a PC for navigation, music... all the goodies.

I now need to find some dashboards of cars (from the junk yard) that could have came with such a screen from the factory.
    Once I find one, I will do a custom job of integrating it into the existing dash. (I'm trying to do this on a budget)

Is there a list somewhere of what make and models of cars are potential donors of such a flip up screen? Either motorized or not motorized is ok.

Or can you guys name cars that you know have such a flip up screen?

The older the car the better, since it's more likely I'll find it at a junk yard.

Originally posted by Outsider787 View Post
    I am looking into putting a flip-up screen into my Mazda3, and run a PC for navigation, music... all the goodies.

I now need to find some dashboards of cars (from the junk yard) that could have came with such a screen from the factory.
    Once I find one, I will do a custom job of integrating it into the existing dash. (I'm trying to do this on a budget)

Is there a list somewhere of what make and models of cars are potential donors of such a flip up screen? Either motorized or not motorized is ok.

Or can you guys name cars that you know have such a flip up screen?

The older the car the better, since it's more likely I'll find it at a junk yard.
    What's your budget?

Unless you have a screen already that you plan to use, it would probably cost less in time, effort, and materials to just buy a single DIN, flip up screen (if the Mazda3 has a single DIN radio). Remember, your time and effort costs something too...

Doing your first carPc on a budget is a CHALLENGE...it's difficult to anticipate mistakes or where it's possible to skimp and save money without compromising the overall functionality of the project.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

I've already built one in my other car, which I'm happy with. It also doesn't have a flip up screen.
      We just got a Mazda3 to replace my wifes old clunker, and I'd like to pimp it up also.
      Having written this, I may experiment with the flip up screen on my car first, before butchering my wife's new car.

As for buying a ready made unit... I like doing this sort of custom work.

And Mazda3/s don't have a DIN stereo... it's one of those that integrate with the whole dash...

Comment

Originally posted by Outsider787 View Post
        I've already built one in my other car, which I'm happy with. It also doesn't have a flip up screen.
        We just got a Mazda3 to replace my wifes old clunker, and I'd like to pimp it up also.
        Having written this, I may experiment with the flip up screen on my car first, before butchering my wife's new car.

As for buying a ready made unit... I like doing this sort of custom work.

And Mazda3/s don't have a DIN stereo... it's one of those that integrate with the whole dash...
        Ahh...well good luck then...although I think you'll need to be a bit more specific about just what sort of flip up screen you're looking for if you want examples in older cars.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
        X