Anyone have/use hear about this? OBD Bluetooth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have/use hear about this? OBD Bluetooth

Any info? Use? Hear any good or bad things about it? Thanks!

http://store.mo-co-so.com/bluetooth-...face-p-31.html

Guess not huh....

Comment

I just received one of those today. I'll be trying it out in the next few days - I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

thats pretty sweet. its a good way to tell if a valet is beating on your car
        1997 Grand Prix GTP - Pioneer Premier HU - Alpine 4ch for mids/highs - McIntosh separates in the rear (soon to be in front as well) - Custom Passive Xovers - Pioneer Class A 300wrms amp - 2.5 farad cap - The original RF "The Punch" Pro Series 12"

Comment

Originally posted by BronxAtHome View Post
          I just received one of those today. I'll be trying it out in the next few days - I'll let you know how it goes.
          Well?

Comment

Sorry for the late update - here it is:
            The Bluetooth OBDII adaptor comes in a plastic bag with a 8cm CD-R. It seems to be an updated version of a CarPal OBDII adaptor.

On the CD is a copy of vitalscan for pocket pc/palm and a setup file for the pc version. As of yet I have been unable to install the PC version on any of my Win XP or Vista PC's - it just errors about being unable to find a file and exits before even starting to install. The pocket pc version installs on my imate 9502 without problem - getting it to work is a whole other story.

Also included on the CD is a quick start guide and manual for a different type of adaptor (an older version) which is pretty much useless.

Once the Bluetooth OBDII is plugged into the car the bluetooth is activated. My Imate, WinXP and Vista PC's can all see the device as CANOBDII. The Imate will pair with the device without any problems (using 0000 as the pin) and shows that the device has a serial port profile available to use. On the WinXP PC I had to change some bluetooth security settings in order for it to pair up (had to increase the bluetooth security level with BlueSoleil) and i could connect to the serial port profile. The Vista PC however refuses to pair up with the device (the sales info page does mention that it is not Vista compatable but i thought i'd give it a go).

On the Imate with vitalscan the app opens fine, choose the com port that you have created when pairing then it finds the Carpal device and it just sits saying trying hardware interface until it is forceably closed. I'm still hunting around for an open source app to try on the Imate . . .

On the WinXP PC I ran Centrafuse 2 RC6.1 and enabled the OBDII plugin and set to the paired com port - It just started working without any fuss giving me rpm temps etc. The adaptor does in fact work.

All in all the adaptor does what it says it does but pairing with a PC is really painfull/finicky and the included software and manuals are pretty much useless. I can't say that i've had a positive experience with this device but eventually it did work using Centrafuse's OBDII plugin under XP if nothing else.

Comment

thanks bronx cause i never heard of it lol
              Discount Electronics - Consumer Electronics

Comment

Good write up...Much help... That sucks you had fiddle yer way through so much...One question...How fast does it update?? Is there lag between, lets say stepping on the gas, abd the sensor spitting out data"? Or is it real time?

Comment

Hey Guys,

Excuse my noobness/stupidity on this topic but I'm not sure what to do.

I bought that same scanner, also can't seem to get the install to work properly, when I open vitalscan it just goes into a demonstration mode, no settings or anything I can seem to find.

I've managed to pair the device using the 0000 passkey but not sure what to do from here.

How do I check the com port and baud rate. I can't get this thing to connect to centrafuse but honestly have no idea how to check to see if the settings I'm attempting to use are even correct.

This feature is one of the things that attracted me to building a carpc, so I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me get it working.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Got this to connect in centrafuse but not actually getting any data out of my RX-8...

Any ideas?

Com port is set to 9

Comment

It sounds like the package that I bought and received today. I got VitalScan to work on Vista without any major problems. Just had to make sure that I used the right COM-port. On my HTC Touch Diamond it was impossible with all available settings. I got stuck at "Testing hardware interface...". Maybe there's a way to change security level in the registry for WM as well as for XP?

Comment

I recently bought the same OBDII Bluetooth adapter. My experience with it is similar. I loaded the Bluesoleil version 1.6 that came on the mini-CD and after pairing it (with 0000 as the key) and the security down, it works as advertised. The problem is that with CF2, I wanted the more current Bluesoleil software (6.4...) because that is the version I have a license for (bluesoleil v1.6 requires a new license). So, I uninstalled all Bluesoleil and reinstalled just 6.4... Now my phone works, and the OBDII pairs fine but whenever I tell it to open the comm port it just shows 'establishing connection...' goes away and no-workie. Checking the comm ports in System/Hardware settings COMM3 has a '?' as a bluetooth comm port. Opening Bluesoleil 6.4 software, the COMM port shows disabled and no efforts to enable it work.
                        I thought it might be some bluetooth comm drivers so I started shotgunning all the Bluesoleil 1.6 drivers (that worked) into the Bluesoleil 6.4 folders. I have had no luck with this and don't know what to do now. I could run both versions of bluesoleil, but that would generate a lot of open comm ports, cost more money, and is not very elegant.
                        Any ideas?

Comment

Car-Pal OBD-II BlueTooth adaptor

Originally posted by BronxAtHome View Post
                          Sorry for the late update - here it is:
                          The Bluetooth OBDII adaptor comes in a plastic bag with a 8cm CD-R. It seems to be an updated version of a CarPal OBDII adaptor.

On the CD is a copy of vitalscan for pocket pc/palm and a setup file for the pc version. As of yet I have been unable to install the PC version on any of my Win XP or Vista PC's - it just errors about being unable to find a file and exits before even starting to install. The pocket pc version installs on my imate 9502 without problem - getting it to work is a whole other story.

Also included on the CD is a quick start guide and manual for a different type of adaptor (an older version) which is pretty much useless.

Once the Bluetooth OBDII is plugged into the car the bluetooth is activated. My Imate, WinXP and Vista PC's can all see the device as CANOBDII. The Imate will pair with the device without any problems (using 0000 as the pin) and shows that the device has a serial port profile available to use. On the WinXP PC I had to change some bluetooth security settings in order for it to pair up (had to increase the bluetooth security level with BlueSoleil) and i could connect to the serial port profile. The Vista PC however refuses to pair up with the device (the sales info page does mention that it is not Vista compatable but i thought i'd give it a go).

On the Imate with vitalscan the app opens fine, choose the com port that you have created when pairing then it finds the Carpal device and it just sits saying trying hardware interface until it is forceably closed. I'm still hunting around for an open source app to try on the Imate . . .

On the WinXP PC I ran Centrafuse 2 RC6.1 and enabled the OBDII plugin and set to the paired com port - It just started working without any fuss giving me rpm temps etc. The adaptor does in fact work.

All in all the adaptor does what it says it does but pairing with a PC is really painfull/finicky and the included software and manuals are pretty much useless. I can't say that i've had a positive experience with this device but eventually it did work using Centrafuse's OBDII plugin under XP if nothing else.
                          I bought a OBD-II Bluetooth adaptor on EBay. The guy had it shipped to me from Hong Kong, so I guess these are still being made. It is a blue plastic block with a OBDII connector and no markings at all.

It came with the mini-cd as you state and connects fine. The software he sent me is called "Vital Scan" from vitalengineering.co.uk but that web site is down and the domain name seems to be for sail.

If you can help me find better software to run with this hardware, i'd appreciate it.

Bill Johnson
                          Oklahoma

Comment

Bluetooth OBDII with software

I just got a bluetooth OBDII Adapter from Hong Kong on Ebay also.

Just thought I'd say that the passcode I had to use was 1234. I was stumped for ages when 0000 wouldn't work.

As far as my knowledge goes, scantool and obd2crazy are the only two free ones on PC. I may be wrong.
                            I have not tried paid ones yet as I am still waiting for my laptop bluetooth dongle.

If you have an Android system somewhere I suggest you try Torque. I use it on my Samsung Galaxy S, it reads data from the OBDII adapter by bluetooth, recieves your GPS data (which calculates speed, distance travelled, and logs your position), and record the data from the phones accelerometer.
                            All the data can be uploaded to a webserver which is easy enough to set up with a bit of programming knowledge.
                            There is a free version which has ads and missing a couple of unimportant features, or the paid one which doesnt cost much anyway.

I must say though, I have a Ford BA Falcon. I dont know yet with it can give me all of the details through the OBDII adapter, but I shall see.

PS. This is not an advertisement, I just really like his product.

Comment

Working...
                            X