USB powered vs. non-powered hub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB powered vs. non-powered hub?

Just wondering what the advantages are exactly of using a powered USB hub over a non-powered version.

For what I will be using it for, I believe a non-powered will be fine. I'll be using it for my touchscreen input primarily. The only other things I can see plugging in to it would be a mouse and/or keyboard. Then at times possibly a USB flash card. Any thoughts?
    CarPC:
    1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
    Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

the only reason to have a powered hub at all is becuase of... the extra power.

if you have a hub and everything attached to it uses a lot of power, it can strain the usb port out of the computer, or the devices wont work properly

but thats about it, the only reason u'd need a hub is if the devices need a lot of power

but a mouse and keyboard would probably run fine on an unpowered hub

Comment

FC3S is correct assuming all of the devices you are attaching at any given time uses a total of 0.5A. If it's more than that you will need a powered hub. So from what you described I would think you would be ok, until you had all three devices connected at the same time -- that might pose a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nasa View Post
        FC3S is correct assuming all of the devices you are attaching at any given time uses a total of 0.5A. If it's more than that you will need a powered hub. So from what you described I would think you would be ok, until you had all three devices connected at the same time -- that might pose a problem.
        Thanks you.

I doubt I'll ever have all 3 attached at the same time regardless. Most likely just the TS and maybe the flash drive. The mouse and keyboard would only be used for troubleshooting or fine tuning/tweaking anyway. Just in case the CarPC gets
        CarPC:
        1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
        Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

some touchscreens have been knowen to not work unless they have access to high power usb ports

also some portable drives work better with a powered hub,

Comment

Well, if need be, I can get another USB extension cable for my TS which is what I'm using right now. That way it will have it's own dedicated line. Thanks for replies and good info about the TS using high power. Any idea why that is? Isn't the USB interface just for the TS "overlay" I guess you could call it?
            CarPC:

Sound System:

Comment

Working...
            X