Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI Fuzzy Motherboard Experiences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MSI Fuzzy Motherboard Experiences?

    I've had my eye on this series of motherboards for some time now. Searching on here doesn't yield much in terms of reviews from real world experiences in the car.

    Fuzzy GM965
    Fuzzy 945GM2
    Fuzzy 945GM1
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  • #2
    I am not fond of my 945GM1, the POST is Damn slow and there's not much for fixing it. MSI support has been bad with these "industrial" motherboards.

    Drivers links aren't obvious out on this model, and it only ships with a 64bit XP pro driver set disk. I have a thread somewhere that covers this and has links to the drivers.

    On the flip side, with a T5600/7200 it is pretty quick (but hard to keep cool in my little box). Only 1 BSOD so far.

    Nothing that makes me want to throw it at a wall, but to do it over again, I wouldn't pick this one.
    It's been a while...

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks! The lack of support and the slow POST is very important for this hobby.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
        Thanks! The lack of support and the slow POST is very important for this hobby.
        Maybe you should also ask toaster, he seems to love the Fuzzy 945, infact he's turned me onto it. Does post time really matter? All it will add is about 5 seconds? What is the diffrence between the 945GM1 and the 945GM2. From what i have read its not worth getting the GM965. It is not that much faster then the 945s' and it is very picky with RAM timings.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

        Comment


        • #5
          saying it has a 'slow POST' doesn't tell me that it's only a 5 second addition in time. it tells me that it's a slow post time. if it's too slow people won't buy it, which means it's inventory that's paid for and just sitting. It also means more support time for our staff. Time answers questions about why the POST takes so long.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

          Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yup I just bought the Fuzzy GM1. I love it.

            The POST times are just fine. The pre-post definately takes longer however (about 2 seconds).

            So you push the start button or turn on the car, then the fan spins full speed for a fraction of a second, stops, spinning, and then you hear the fan start again. That takes about 2 seconds. Then the screen flashes, and POST happens. If you optimize the BIOS by setting the HD to first boot device, manually enter HD settings not Auto, quick boot, disable legacy USB support, and such things. I am using 2Gb RAM, and I think it supports 4Gb, but the quick boot is very nice. I would say it is 10 seconds from off to the XP logo with the scrolling horiztonal bar. I get that number because I timed my old Commel LV-671, and it was insant begin posting, and took 8 seconds to that screen. So 8 + 2 = 10seconds.

            As far as drivers, it came with a CD. I popped it in, pushed "1 Click Install" and walked away. Came back after dinner and video, ethernet, USB, and audio drivers were installed and working.

            I had some problems with the Voom2 case I bought (at the mp3car store, came within the week I ordered too good job guys! ) with the molex connector on the back having loose metal pins. So I had some random reboots that after 3 days I pinned down to excessive jolts like potholes and such, leading me to think it was a loose wire. The remote amp wire had come loose as well as the constant power. So I removed that stupid connector and used my own industrial one and it works great. No resets or anything. The reason is so many hard resets while driving, has corrupted the video driver I have stored on the HD, so currently I am not using the video driver (using XP default) until my new 2.5" drive comes in and I will redo it.

            So I give it 2 thumbs up.

            Other reasons I chose it:
            supports 4Gb of RAM compared to the Jetway J9F2 2Gb RAM
            supports a wide array of RAM timings, as opposed the ****ty J9F2 that must have specificly timed, and specifically sided RAM.
            Supports Mobile C2D
            Supports Desktop RAM, none of that expensive laptop stuff needed.
            Has PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard connectors onboard, J9F2 doesn't
            Has 4 USB on the back, so I took out my USB hub

            The list goes on. I love this little board!!!!!!!!!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              Yup I just bought the Fuzzy GM1. I love it.

              The POST times are just fine. The pre-post definately takes longer however (about 2 seconds).

              So you push the start button or turn on the car, then the fan spins full speed for a fraction of a second, stops, spinning, and then you hear the fan start again. That takes about 2 seconds. Then the screen flashes, and POST happens. If you optimize the BIOS by setting the HD to first boot device, manually enter HD settings not Auto, quick boot, disable legacy USB support, and such things. I am using 2Gb RAM, and I think it supports 4Gb, but the quick boot is very nice. I would say it is 10 seconds from off to the XP logo with the scrolling horiztonal bar. I get that number because I timed my old Commel LV-671, and it was insant begin posting, and took 8 seconds to that screen. So 8 + 2 = 10seconds.

              As far as drivers, it came with a CD. I popped it in, pushed "1 Click Install" and walked away. Came back after dinner and video, ethernet, USB, and audio drivers were installed and working.

              I had some problems with the Voom2 case I bought (at the mp3car store, came within the week I ordered too good job guys! ) with the molex connector on the back having loose metal pins. So I had some random reboots that after 3 days I pinned down to excessive jolts like potholes and such, leading me to think it was a loose wire. The remote amp wire had come loose as well as the constant power. So I removed that stupid connector and used my own industrial one and it works great. No resets or anything. The reason is so many hard resets while driving, has corrupted the video driver I have stored on the HD, so currently I am not using the video driver (using XP default) until my new 2.5" drive comes in and I will redo it.

              So I give it 2 thumbs up.

              Other reasons I chose it:
              supports 4Gb of RAM compared to the Jetway J9F2 2Gb RAM
              supports a wide array of RAM timings, as opposed the ****ty J9F2 that must have specificly timed, and specifically sided RAM.
              Supports Mobile C2D
              Supports Desktop RAM, none of that expensive laptop stuff needed.
              Has PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard connectors onboard, J9F2 doesn't
              Has 4 USB on the back, so I took out my USB hub

              The list goes on. I love this little board!!!!!!!!!
              HAHAHAHAHAHA, I see you've become biased towards Jetway, like I have become towards VIA. Its also good to know that some1 that knows what thier talking about came in and set the record straight.

              saying it has a 'slow POST' doesn't tell me that it's only a 5 second addition in time. it tells me that it's a slow post time. if it's too slow people won't buy it, which means it's inventory that's paid for and just sitting. It also means more support time for our staff. Time answers questions about why the POST takes so long.
              Opps, I meant 2 seconds longer, lol
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

              1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

              Comment


              • #8
                I also have the Fuzzy GM965 and am loving it. Toaster's numbers sound about right. The board stays cool, performs extremely well, and comes with decent sound/graphics cards built in. I also give it two thumbs up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just bought on of these to replace my Jetway J7F2WE1G2E. The Jetway board was fast, but wouldn't display any video when booted at temperatures lower than ~60degF. Totally stupid!!

                  The GM1 looks to be a pretty good upgrade in speed and features.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes...make sure you get the right cpu for the right board. I got a Intel T7300 through Intel (I am an employee) and it didn't say socket P anywhere on the web page, and I bought a MSI fuzzy 945GM1 online and it is a socket M board.
                    The Fuzzy 965GM is socket P.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tchobson View Post
                      Yes...make sure you get the right cpu for the right board. I got a Intel T7300 through Intel (I am an employee) and it didn't say socket P anywhere on the web page, and I bought a MSI fuzzy 945GM1 online and it is a socket M board.
                      The Fuzzy 965GM is socket P.

                      Yea, I kept thinking the T7300 fit on the 945 also, thankfully Toaster set me str8. Hey do you get discounts for working at Intel. I want to buy a T5500 for cheap!
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                      1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I do get discounts but I can only buy one of each cpu and all they have for mobile is socket P, which sucks cause I have a socket M board I have to sell or buy a CPU at regular price.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm running a T2450 which seems fast enough. You can get a T2500 on eBay pretty cheap right now, just search all the various models, and there are some overlooked versions that seem to be a little cheaper.

                          BTW, I installed it yesterday and it worked perfectly right away. I'm using the M3-ATX power supply, with 2GB DDR2 and a 60GB SATA with the Centrafuse front end. Works great!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i have the gm965 and love it. core 2 duo. 4gig of ram and using the lvds with my 14.1" touchscrene runing vista soon to be windows 7. Friend came over to look at it and was man this thing is fast. and i haven't done anything to it. haven't changed anything in the settings for fast boot or anything.
                            only thing is i want another cpu fan from msi to put on the video chip heat sink.
                            board does what it is supposed to and very nice quality.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X