IEI KINO-690S1 AMD Turion 64 Mini-ITX Mainboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IEI KINO-690S1 AMD Turion 64 Mini-ITX Mainboard

I was checking out LogicSupply to see if they have the MSI Fuzzy 945GM1 in stock, and i decided to check out the AMD based boards. While doing so i came across this board http://www.logicsupply.com/products/kino_690s1. Are AMD boards any good? All I have seen on MP3car forums are INTEL based people, so I also want to ask why there arent alot more AMD fans?

The board seems impressive, has:

* Processor
    Supports Dual Core AMD Turion 64 & AMD Mobile Sempron
    Up to 1600 MHz Hyper Transport support
    Socket S1

* Chipset
    ATI 690G
    ATI SB600

* System Memory
    2 DDR2 400/533/667 SO-DIMM
    Up to 2GB memory size

*VGA
    ATI 690G

*Expansion Slots
    1 PCI

*Onboard IDE
    1 ATA 133 (40-pin)

*Onboard Serial
    ATA 4 SATA (3Gb/sec.) connectors

*Onboard USB
    8 USB 2.0

*Onboard LAN
    2 PCIe Broadcom BCM5787M 10/100/1000

*Onboard Audio
    Realtek ALC655 AC'97 codec

*Back Panel I/O
    1 VGA port
    1 DVI port
    4 USB 2.0
    2 LAN ports
    2 RS-232 COM ports
    1 PS2 mouse port
    1 PS2 keyboard port
    2 audio jacks: line-out, line-in

*Onboard I/O Connectors
    2 USB 2.0 connectors for 4 USB ports
    1 RS-232 COM connector (1 RS-232 & 1 RS-232/422/485 via included adapter cable)
    4 SATA connectors
    1 IrDA pin header
    1 Digital I/O (8-pin)
    ATX power connector

*BIOS
    AMI BIOS flash memory

*System Monitoring & Management
    Watchdog timer, CPU voltage monitoring, CPU temperature control, System temperature control, Fan control, Wake on LAN

Only thing I dont get is why it has on line in and line out, which doesnt matter since I have a SoundBlaster USB.

So please give me your comments on this board, and why you guys seem to stick with INTEL.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

***bump***

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

personally i went with intel, because my board had the chip soldered in, it was a good price, and powerfull enough for all my carputer needs.

if i wanted a more powerfull computer i probably would have gone amd.

this board itself i have no idea... tho i would class that as overkill (more so than a normal car PC ) dual 1G lan, and 4 sata, also check its power usage if that might be a concern as well.

line in so you can plug a device like a dvd player or something into it

Comment

Originally posted by Woofnstuff View Post
        personally i went with intel, because my board had the chip soldered in, it was a good price, and powerfull enough for all my carputer needs.

if i wanted a more powerfull computer i probably would have gone amd.

this board itself i have no idea... tho i would class that as overkill (more so than a normal car PC ) dual 1G lan, and 4 sata, also check its power usage if that might be a concern as well.

line in so you can plug a device like a dvd player or something into it
        I was origianally going to go with the MSI Fuzzy 945GM1, but this board has caught my attention. AMD's processors seem to be powerful, but very nicely priced (102.00, which includes shipping, for a 1.8 ghz). I also like that they went overboard with features.... Although the Fuzzy is upgradable to 4 GB, I like that this board uses SODIMM sized RAM, it will fit in my case much better. I hate that it is missing the mic in, but its cool the SoundBlaster can take care of that. I agree with you on the SATA, way to many of those. I dont think the power usuage will be a concern since I have a OPUS 320. I think the processor uses 31 watts, all together with the board I estimate about 80 watts. If the OPUS 320 cant handle the PC and the tons of devices, I have a M2-ATX ready to take some of the load. So 480 watts combined, is more then enough. I am also much more comfortable with ATI graphics, which this board uses. All the reviews say that the chipset is very very stable and looks nice, can handle Dual View and Extended Windows easily.

I wish I could make up my mind and stay with one board!!!!!!!!!!!! Well lets see if I fall for AMD or INTEL. I will be ordering the a processor on Thursday. Most likely I will go with the AMD. I want to be diffrent and go with something other then VIA, or INTEL.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I purchased this board, but have yet to fire it up. I was also able to score a Turion X2 off of Ebay for $35 BIN. The DVI onboard attracted me, and I really like AMD. Anyway, once I get it fired up, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Tripnip View Post
            I purchased this board, but have yet to fire it up. I was also able to score a Turion X2 off of Ebay for $35 BIN. The DVI onboard attracted me, and I really like AMD. Anyway, once I get it fired up, I'll let you know how it goes.
            Please do.... Which Turion X2 did you get? Im getting mine off of Amazon, but its $102.00, which includes shipping. Im eyeing the Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.8 Ghz Processor. I have yet to figure out what the TL-52, TL-56 or TL-60 mean, but i do know the TL-60 is expensive. I went with a store rather then ebay, so that if the processor is bad, I wont have issues. I have bought a few items that I have had to fight to get returned. Where did you buy the MoBo from?

PS: What type of ram did you buy? Does this board use PC5400 667 DDR2 RAM? I was thinking of buying Corsair, not sure though if it works.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

anyone know another place to get this board from

Comment

yes there is another site..but its about the same price as logicsupply. also to note, logicsupply will test the board for 14.95.... when i get on my pc ill post the link... my ppc is too slow to search for it, hehe

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

ohh thats cool thanks the price for the board seems to high compared to what the processor cost lol. seems weird to pay more for a board

Comment

Originally posted by p&gcustoms View Post
                    ohh thats cool thanks the price for the board seems to high compared to what the processor cost lol. seems weird to pay more for a board
                    I think if you go for an INTEL board you'll notice the same chip set is still about the same price, Im assuming all the extras are what bring the board's price up. That is what actually turned me on to AMD, the price is so low for a very powerful processor. I paid 98.70 for my AMD Turion X2 TL-56 1.8 ghz processor, and when goggling I saw some that were 39.99 but used.......... INTEL processors are expensiveeeeeeeee or at least the one I wanted.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

You just have to know what to buy. You can get an Intel E2140, 2160 or 2180 for next to nothing. I've seen the E2180 go for as low as 55-60 bucks OEM. In fact, I'm using an E2200 in my regular desktop right now and it overclocks to 3.2GHz on air. For the $70.00 I paid for it, it most definitely can't be beat.

If you want to go Intel, go with the E2xxx series and a cheap socket 775 board. You'll be all set then and have more power than you could ever need in a CarPC.

Oh and I forgot about the new E1xxx series Celeron CPU's. Nearly as powerful as the E2xxx Core2Duos and they are practically giving them away.
                      CarPC:
                      1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
                      Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

Originally posted by ronjon228 View Post
                        You just have to know what to buy. You can get an Intel E2140, 2160 or 2180 for next to nothing. I've seen the E2180 go for as low as 55-60 bucks OEM. In fact, I'm using an E2200 in my regular desktop right now and it overclocks to 3.2GHz on air. For the $70.00 I paid for it, it most definitely can't be beat.

If you want to go Intel, go with the E2xxx series and a cheap socket 775 board. You'll be all set then and have more power than you could ever need in a CarPC.

Oh and I forgot about the new E1xxx series Celeron CPU's. Nearly as powerful as the E2xxx Core2Duos and they are practically giving them away.
                        I wanted 2 cores...... I also wanted ATI graphics..... I dont know, i guess I want to be diffrent. Not many people have AMD in a carpc enviroment.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

The Celeron E1xxx line and the Pentium E2xxx lines are both dual cores.

Also, I can understand ATI, I'm an ATI guy myself. Running an HD3870 in my gaming rig right now.
                          CarPC:
                          1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
                          Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

I am attempting to find a mini-itx board which will work with the max resolution mode of this device (w/ three DVI screens):
                            http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...gital/home.php
                            At the moment the only board which appears that it "may" work is the one discussed in this thread. Matrox has a test program which when run on a machine will report whether it works or not. The problem is that it is windows only.
                            Would one of you KINO-690S1 owners who are running windows on your CarPC consider running the program and let me know what the result is ? You can download it directly from Matrox here:
                            http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx.../tool/home.php

Feel free to PM me with questions if you have any! I hate to signup and ask this out of the blue but I have not yet had much luck getting this information from vendors/manufacturers yet. I have been reading these forums for several years, I have just not yet built a CarPC and didn't have a pressing need to register until now.

Cheers,

orGSD

Comment

Originally posted by orgsd View Post
                              I am attempting to find a mini-itx board which will work with the max resolution mode of this device (w/ three DVI screens):
                              http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...gital/home.php
                              At the moment the only board which appears that it "may" work is the one discussed in this thread. Matrox has a test program which when run on a machine will report whether it works or not. The problem is that it is windows only.
                              Would one of you KINO-690S1 owners who are running windows on your CarPC consider running the program and let me know what the result is ? You can download it directly from Matrox here:
                              http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx.../tool/home.php

Feel free to PM me with questions if you have any! I hate to signup and ask this out of the blue but I have not yet had much luck getting this information from vendors/manufacturers yet. I have been reading these forums for several years, I have just not yet built a CarPC and didn't have a pressing need to register until now.

Cheers,

orGSD
                              That thing is cooooooooool, basically cuts down on having to have a graphics card for each screen. Why do you need that in a car enviroment though? Mine has 1 Head unit screen, then 3 passenger screens, but what i did is I bought a VGA powered splitter, and the passenger screens connect to that. Unless your trying to have 3 diffrent things playing at the same time.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X