Stock Buttons to CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Buttons to CarPC

So I'm mounting my Touchscreen in the stock NAV location.

I'm wondering if anyone would have insight on where I would start in hooking up the stock button cluster to key strokes on my CarPC.

I've taken some pictures so you guys can see the electrical side of things.

Anyone have an idea how I would go about it? I've got the Steering Wheel controls down. This is the next step

Noone? C'mon I know many of you have the knowledge. I'm just looking for a push in the right direction.

Comment

look into something like a GPWiz, as in this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...-solution.html

The GPWiz is just an HID device that plugs into the usb port of your computer. It takes button presses and sends them to the computer. You need to use girder 4 (or above?) with it.

You would have to wire each individual switch to the GPWiz (bypassing all the circuitry on that board all together). The GPWiz should be able to handle that rotary encoder as well.

The GPWiz is available here: http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/i...roducts_id=234

There are other similar units available that work pretty much the same, but a few other members (including me) have used the GPWiz and it seems to work all right.

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
        look into something like a GPWiz, as in this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...-solution.html

The GPWiz is just an HID device that plugs into the usb port of your computer. It takes button presses and sends them to the computer. You need to use girder 4 (or above?) with it.

You would have to wire each individual switch to the GPWiz (bypassing all the circuitry on that board all together). The GPWiz should be able to handle that rotary encoder as well.

The GPWiz is available here: http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/i...roducts_id=234

There are other similar units available that work pretty much the same, but a few other members (including me) have used the GPWiz and it seems to work all right.
        Thanks for the reply mate..

The concept of taking the signal and putting it to a keystroke i undetstand.. But I don't understand how I would wire it. The joy stick is attached to the circuit board so I don't see how i could remove that.

Do you mean basically do solder the buttons on the circuit board so the board does nothing then re wire the buttons straight into the Gwiz or fusion brain or whatever controller I choose?

Comment

Originally posted by SKiTLz View Post
          Thanks for the reply mate..

The concept of taking the signal and putting it to a keystroke i undetstand.. But I don't understand how I would wire it. The joy stick is attached to the circuit board so I don't see how i could remove that.
          It looks like the the joystick pins go straight through to the back of the PCB, so you could solder straight to that.

Do you mean basically do solder the buttons on the circuit board so the board does nothing then re wire the buttons straight into the Gwiz or fusion brain or whatever controller I choose?
          Exactly, but I don't think you could use the fusion brain (it only has 4 digital inputs)

Comment

As an alternative, you could always reverse engineer the outputs of that seven pin cable, translate that to serial or parallel port input and use another program to send inputs to you front-end. But that option requires equipment most people don't readily have at home.

I, personally, would buy a cheap joystick with enough buttons to cover your needs, tear it apart and completely replace you existing circuit board with the joystick guts.( Its actually easier to do than it sounds.) The plus side of using a joystick is the programmability of not only the single click of the individual buttons but also programming combo button sequences, i.e., your system would have 11 individual buttons as depicted, but when you add two button sequences, that number jumps to over 100 possible combinations. An 8-way hat could be used to replace the existing "joystick" and be programmed for mouse movement.

I know my joysticks input is prejudicial because I have always used joysticks in my installs from my Jaguar XJS to my MB 500SL or my sons Mustang.

Its so easy to implement with USB joysticks and when gutted their easy to cram in small spaces, highly reliable, most are immediately recognized by XP on boot-up, and with "Joy2Mouse" are super configurable!

I picked up a Logitech® Extreme™ 3D Pro off EBay last month shipped for 12 bucks and it has 11 programmable buttons plus a trigger and an 8-way hat. You could easily desolder the switches from it and wire the switches from your circuit board to it.
            HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Thanks alot mate. Very helpful post..

I've been debating if I have the skill to do this as I'm not very knowledgable in this area. I contacted Nick from the Fusion COntrol Center seeing if he was for hire but doesn't seem to interested.

If anyone is interested in doing this for me I'd gladly pay to have it done. Whatever it costs within reason. It's not for a cheap car so I wan't it done well.

If anyone is up for it please drop me a line. Doesn't sound like its too hard for some of you guys.

Comment

some things to look for:

Phigets

Girder

Joypad 3.1

carbuttons

There's just so many options it makes the head spin......

Choose which one works best for your application.

I'd say joypad 3.1 is probably the easiest way to go.

Cheers
                For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                X